Getting creative with Tyvek

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Getting creative with Tyvek

Postby ggorgeman » Tue 01 Nov, 2022 6:19 pm

I've acquired several pairs of protective overalls that are Tyvek, brand new still in their packs. Quite a lightweight, soft version of Tyvek. Looking for creative ideas to fashion some UL kit from the fabric so please reply with your ideas. I don't envisage slipping into them for wet-weather protection :) I'm thinking more of gear storage or whatever else you can think of.
Extra points for creativity.... Interested in how to join the material too.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Getting creative with Tyvek

Postby Tortoise » Tue 01 Nov, 2022 7:43 pm

Not exactly creative, but I've made bags out of Tyvek - I just sewed a slot at the top for a draw cord and sewed the side and bottom seams. I've used them for food bags, gloves/hats bag, and to carry microspikes.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Wed 02 Nov, 2022 9:15 am

Lots of bag/pouch type things is about probably about it. A la Tortoise's suggestion.
Tyvek wont work as 'wet outside gear' or clothing type stuff -after a bit of use it'll leak like a sieve.
It's really not great stuff.
One pair of the overalls will likely give you all the wee baggie/pouch things, you could possibly use.

Unfortunately no matter what you come up with- the vast bulk of the Tyvek overalls will end up in landfill because the pieces will be too small or just too irregular in shape to start with- the wastage will be huge.
Last edited by Lamont on Fri 04 Nov, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby ggorgeman » Wed 02 Nov, 2022 10:15 am

Thanks Lamont and Tortoise, I tend to agree, prob just suitable for small bags. I reckon cutting a section from the overall's arm or legs would provide a piece that would just need to be sealed at one end and add a drawstring at the top. I have 3 pairs so I'll have a play. Cheers
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 03 Nov, 2022 9:59 am

I've got an evernew pot set and the bag appears to be some sort of tyvek. I have grave fears for its long-term durability but it's got a nice feel and weight for the job.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Tortoise » Thu 03 Nov, 2022 11:03 am

CraigVIC wrote:I've got an evernew pot set and the bag appears to be some sort of tyvek. I have grave fears for its long-term durability but it's got a nice feel and weight for the job.

I think you can relax. A pot bag isn't going to undergo the wear and tear of a ground sheet, unless you decide to also use it as a sit pad on granite on a regular basis. I've been Tyvek bags for years, and they show little to no sign of wearing out. I've used the thicker and the thinner Tyvek, depending on what I wanted it for.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Make Your Own Gear