Desktop version
Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.
Post a reply

Toothpaste transfusion

Mon 16 Jan, 2023 4:19 pm

I emptied my small toothpaste tube and had trouble finding a new one. So I pumped some from a big tube into the old tube using a 20mm section of 1/2” garden poly pipe.
Attachments
E8941315-ECC9-4DBA-9093-49B099345D96.jpeg

Re: Toothpaste transfusion

Tue 17 Jan, 2023 5:45 pm

I usually just jam the two apertures together and it works fine.
If any squirts out, I put it on a toothbrush and clean my teeth!

Mon 27 Feb, 2023 8:30 pm

Bill P wrote:I emptied my small toothpaste tube and had trouble finding a new one. So I pumped some from a big tube into the old tube using a 20mm section of 1/2” garden poly pipe.

Hi Bill, Great idea. I do the same with a slightly different MYOG tube. Do you use the system for other backpacking fluids in larger tubes? If so be careful (like the international space station people) and get your labels right. Tim

Tue 28 Feb, 2023 7:49 am

I used to take a small container with baking soda. That can be used for many other uses as well.
https://www.webmd.com/beauty/ss/slidesh ... oda-health
BTW, baking soda alone does not protect your teeth against cavities so for those doing the long trails it is better to also take fluoride tablets.

Thu 10 Aug, 2023 6:07 pm

I grab those mini toothpastes you see in hotels and use them, but do you even need toothpaste at all (when bushwalking)?

Serious question. I would always take a toothbrush because it massages your gums and removes food from between your teeth. But what exactly does toothpaste do other than freshen your breath for an hour or 2.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Last edited by crollsurf on Thu 10 Aug, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu 10 Aug, 2023 7:52 pm

When used correctly a good toothpaste should work for more than an hour or two, but that is only if you don't rinse the active ingredients off.
It took a stern lecture from an oral hygienist to get me to stop rinsing the sensitive type toothpaste from my mouth.

Fri 11 Aug, 2023 9:36 am

Toothpaste is a very mild abrasive. Helps remove staining.

Fri 11 Aug, 2023 10:20 am

Toothpaste certainly has some mild abrasive/scourer properties, as well as teeth-strengthening properties (fluoride).

However, I would never take it bushwalking. Just one more unnecessary thing to carry, muck about with, and make a mess with. I'm surprised that most people do take toothpaste (as far as I can tell from my not-very-scientific survey methods).

Just a toothbrush is fine for me when out bush.

(I also do not floss when out bush, but use both toothpaste and floss when at home.)

Fri 11 Aug, 2023 1:36 pm

On a quick overnite to 2 nite walk I wouldn't either as I always keep hygiene stuff in the car but I'll take toothpaste for anything longer than that for sure.

Sun 13 Aug, 2023 1:13 am

Years ago I heard that a pinch of salt on the toothbrush served as well. A mild abrasive and disinfectant and even whitening property. Doubtless too strong in the long term but better than nothing for a few days, used sparingly.

Sun 13 Aug, 2023 8:34 am

Back in the days of cooking over wood fires it was the ash from the fires that got used, anything slightly alkaline works; like BiCarb

Mon 14 Aug, 2023 2:18 pm

These aren't bad https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy ... le-tablets
Post a reply