Dry-Baking video demo using a Mini Heat Stove

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Dry-Baking video demo using a Mini Heat Stove

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 05 Aug, 2013 11:51 am

A lightweight dry-baking option for overnight Bushwalking.

This will be a first of a series of videos on using different stove combinations and pots for Lightweight Dry-Baking.

Total weight of cooking system shown in video is 230grams, it incorporates an imusa 12cm pot with lid and imusa 10cm baking pot. Stove is a Mini Heat ST provided by Smokeeater908 from USA and a carbon felt windscreen.

The Mini Heat ST Stove uses a Remote fuel feeding system. Fuel flow rate can be adjusted by raising or lowering the fuel bottle to increase flow or reduce flow rate. A pinch valve can also be used to help control the fuel flow, you need to adjust the two to obtain an ideal fuel flow rate. You need a low heat output for dry baking. It's a tricky stove system to get right, but once you get it right the results follows. I've removed the larger carbon doughnut from the stove and shorten the wick by about a cm.

Fuel Used: 40ml of Methylated Spirits
Imusa 12cm Aluminium Pot & Custom Lid
Imusa 10cm Aluminium baking pot.
Smokeeater908 Mini Heat ST Stove with remote fuel feeder.
Carbon Felt windscreen.

Baked a Banana Muffin in 35 - 40 minutes. Most muffins & cakes I've baked thus far have taken less than 30 minutes, more like 20-25 minutes to bake, This particular mix for some reason is taking a bit longer, it's worth the wait. I picked up this Muffin Mix (White Wings Blissful Banana Muffins) from a corner store on sale for $1.80. I divided the pack into 4 equal sized zippy bags and baked one of those bags on this video demo. This mixture only requires water. I did add some mixed berry's and sultanas to the dry mix.

ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Re: Dry-Baking video demo using a Mini Heat Stove

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 05 Aug, 2013 12:45 pm

Nice one! With the amount of spare room in your pot, looks like similar baking condition could also be achieved with smaller units. And for the baking time and fuel burn, might it be better suited for a camp fire.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 05 Aug, 2013 3:58 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Nice one! With the amount of spare room in your pot, looks like similar baking condition could also be achieved with smaller units. And for the baking time and fuel burn, might it be better suited for a camp fire.

It would be easy enough to grab some coals from a fire and sit the pot onto the coals, problem is, there's not that many national parks left now where you can have a fire. It's not what it used to be. I used to always cook on a fire.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby neilmny » Mon 05 Aug, 2013 6:03 pm

Well done Phil nice video thanks.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Ultralight backpacking