Lightweight 3+ season tent

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Postby warnesy » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 4:08 pm

So i've been trawling the forum and starting to realise that my Macpac gear that has served me so well for so long, could do with a little upgrade to save me carrying such a large load. One thing prime for an upgrade is my tent. At 2.7kg the Minaret I am carrying is weighing me down a bit more than some of the newer options.

The hiking I do is from November to April, mainly in the snowy mountains and is generally as a base for me to head off fishing from.

The are so many options iv'e drawn up a shortlist. I'd really like to hear experience with these tents, or other options that you think I just have to consider.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

The options
Hilleberg Enan - 1.1kg
Macpac Sololight - 1.25kg
Tarptent Moment DW - 960g
Zpacks Duplex tent - 750gish(inc poles)
Big Sky Chinook - 1.44kg
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Lightweight 3+ season tent

Postby -dz- » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 4:15 pm

Biased but I'd go with the moment.

Have a double rainbow, so not exactly what you're asking for but the build quality is amazing. And I after much research the only reason I went for the rainbow was I needed a two person tent. The double moment looked a bit funny and the struts put me off. The single moment is something I'll likely grab down the line.

Hilleberg just too expensive for what you get.
-dz-
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Eljimberino » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 4:45 pm

Budget plays a big part.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby warnesy » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 4:52 pm

Eljimberino wrote:Budget plays a big part.

Cheaper to buy the right tent once than the wrong tent three times. Saying that wouldn't want to spend much more than the enan.
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Alittleruff » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 5:14 pm

Easton Kilo 2p UL tent? 1kg trail weight, 1.17kg packed.

Big Anges UL Flycreek 2P- 1kg, min weight (trail weight) 879g. Campsaver - with 20% off right now, $279.96... pretty good deal I reccon. I purchased a Big Anges copper spur 3P from here a few weeks ago. Parcel arrived in 9 days. :)

Adding to the list! There are heaps to choose from.
Alittleruff
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby whitefang » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 5:32 pm

Out of your options I would pick the moment. It's a very similar design to the enan and sololight but lighter than both. It's not as light as the duplex, but it's also going to be about $300 cheaper. I own a tarptent ProTrail and can not fault the build quality. Tarptents are really an excellent product.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby warnesy » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks all, please keep adding, i'd like to make sure I consider all options. I've read through a lot of tent threads and picked a few that were a repeated theme, but i'm sure i've missed a number.
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eljimberino » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 10:24 am

Since you posted in the ultralight subforum, and you've said money is not an issue - get the Duplex. All the reviews are glowing, and deep down, you know that's the one you want. I'm contemplating selling my hexamid solo-plus to fund a Duplex.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Supertramp » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 9:43 pm

Yep I'd choose the Duplex, matter of fact it will probably be my next tent.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnesy » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 9:48 pm

I think I was leaning Enan at the start but the Duplex is starting to appear super tempting, and it seems the spaciest and the lightest... I'm not sure money is no issue, but it won't be the deciding factor. I just did a potential basket of things i'd like from ZPacks right now, damn that aussie dollar!

That Big Agnes doesn't look too bad either, thanks for adding it to the list.
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jjoz58 » Sun 20 Dec, 2015 10:43 pm

I have the hexamid solo-plus and love it. 185cms tall and no problems.

Having said that I'm now looking at getting off the ground so my next will be a zpacks tarp for a hammock.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby lionel » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 10:04 am

I have Big Agnes Flycreek UL3 - excellent very well designed tent at 1.9kg. Heaps of space for 2, enough for 3 if you are really friendly. Might be worth adding a footprint. The Big Agnes footprint goes under the tent but not the awning at the front and it does allow you to dry pitch the tent.
Big Agnes Copper Spur is very similar but with two side entrances.
lionel
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Mark F » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 1:38 pm

I just noticed this on Gumtree - Six Moons Designs Haven + net inner.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yarralumla/camping-hiking/six-moons-haven-tarp-net-tent-2-person-hiking-shelter/1108829000

I have the cuben version for my 2 person tent and it works well.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby scouts1 » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 2:54 pm

Campsaver have Big Agnes Fly Ck UL2 less than $400 Australian delivered at present
scouts1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Chris-Toms Outdoors » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 4:15 pm

Hi,
Firstly i must declare that i sell Helsport tents. I don't wish to make this an sales pitch and only commented because i feel that it is relevant.
The Helsport Ringstind Superlight is 990grams complete. Fly, inner, pegs and pole. It's a very similar tent to the Hilleberg Enan

Mods feel free to delete if needed.
Cheers
Chris
http://www.tomsoutdoors.com.au Family owned outdoors store selling quality clothing and equipment. Located in Tumut NSW.
Chris-Toms Outdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tomsoutdoors.com.au

Postby McGinnis » Thu 07 Apr, 2016 12:11 am

From your list, considering price - the Moment DW. I love the Duplex, but it isn't worth what it costs considering what it offers (for me). $400 extra over the Moment DW to save 200 grams? The same money could be spent upgrading other pieces that would result in greater weight savings (down quilt, lighter pack, mat, etc). Going from a Minaret at 2.7 kg, to a Moment DW at 960 grams saves you 1.74 kg as it is; are you willing to spend another $400 to save 1.95 kg instead?

Maybe you are, and that's up to you of course; some pieces of gear resonate with people when other pieces don't. Just food for thought.
McGinnis
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby warnesy » Thu 07 Apr, 2016 10:13 am

Chris-Toms Outdoors wrote:Hi,
Firstly i must declare that i sell Helsport tents. I don't wish to make this an sales pitch and only commented because i feel that it is relevant.
The Helsport Ringstind Superlight is 990grams complete. Fly, inner, pegs and pole. It's a very similar tent to the Hilleberg Enan

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris. I frequent Tumut a bit so I will have to pop in and have a look...maybe I can convince you that you need a product tester :). I haven't had a chance to pop into your store yet but I think my old man has been in a few times.
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnesy » Thu 07 Apr, 2016 10:18 am

McGinnis - you are right it is a bit of cash for a small saving in weight. I have done the upgrades of the other gear (gg Mariposa, s2s ultralight matt and mike's down quilt) so this is the last piece of the big 4 puzzle. There is something about the Duplex I like, the space to weight the reviews all make me keen. But with the exchange rate and the fact I might only have one more hike before winter at most means I am happy to wait and think through the considerations you mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris-Toms Outdoors » Sat 09 Apr, 2016 8:53 am

warnesy wrote:
Chris-Toms Outdoors wrote:Hi,

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris. I frequent Tumut a bit so I will have to pop in and have a look...maybe I can convince you that you need a product tester :). I haven't had a chance to pop into your store yet but I think my old man has been in a few times.

Hi Andrew,
Definitely pop in at some time, its always good to have a closer look at some things. Going off your user name I would say that your father has been a great customer, it's always good to have a chat with him when he's in town.
Cheers
Chris
http://www.tomsoutdoors.com.au Family owned outdoors store selling quality clothing and equipment. Located in Tumut NSW.
Chris-Toms Outdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tomsoutdoors.com.au

Return to Ultralight backpacking