Light Weight Sleeping Bag?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Light Weight Sleeping Bag?

Postby wayno » Sat 05 Oct, 2013 6:06 am

is it this bag? gets a very high review rating.
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultraligh ... -20-Degree
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby DannyS » Sat 05 Oct, 2013 7:55 am

Same bag design Wayno but mine is the warmer rating, that's the 20F bag, I chose the 10F bag.
DannyS
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby Strider » Sat 05 Oct, 2013 9:04 am

That's the main thing! I am specifically after a quilt this time around I reckon. I've always felt constricted by sleeping bags as I roll around in my sleep a lot. I usually end up opening up my bag down to the knees anyway so keen to see how a quilt compares.

Your bag is one of the warmest, if not the warmest, for its weight :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby DannyS » Sat 05 Oct, 2013 9:36 am

Strider wrote:That's the main thing! I am specifically after a quilt this time around I reckon. I've always felt constricted by sleeping bags as I roll around in my sleep a lot. I usually end up opening up my bag down to the knees anyway so keen to see how a quilt compares.

Your bag is one of the warmest, if not the warmest, for its weight :)

I think this bag is something in between a bag and a quilt even though it has the full length zip. Because of the positioning of the zipper and lack of hood I can open it up fully and it works as a quilt, but if need be I like that I can zip it up and have a fully sealed bag for the colder nights. I also turn a lot in my sleep and have had no issue with this bag resulting from that.
DannyS

Postby DannyS » Sat 05 Oct, 2013 9:57 am

Having said that I should add that even with the wider girth option it is still quite a fitted bag.
DannyS

Postby wayno » Sat 05 Oct, 2013 11:49 am

now, you have to upload a photo of you in the bag once you get it...
Attachments
bAG.jpg
bAG.jpg (67.97 KiB) Viewed 25193 times
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DannyS » Sat 05 Oct, 2013 1:17 pm

wayno wrote:now, you have to upload a photo of you in the bag once you get it...

I already have the bag but I live alone so no one to take the photo :) I can post a photo of it minus me :D
What bag is that your in?
DannyS

Postby Orion » Sun 06 Oct, 2013 10:10 am

DannyS wrote:I think this bag is something in between a bag and a quilt even though it has the full length zip. Because of the positioning of the zipper and lack of hood I can open it up fully and it works as a quilt, but if need be I like that I can zip it up and have a fully sealed bag for the colder nights. I also turn a lot in my sleep and have had no issue with this bag resulting from that.

Every full length zippered and hooded bag I own can also be used as a quilt. The difference between a quilt and a zippered bag is mostly that quilts generally do not have zippers or hoods.

That bag you purchased looks very nice, by the way. Is the neck draft collar a special order? I don't see that option on the zpacks website. What does your bag weigh?

I notice they use the "lightest weight ripstop nylon" in their bags but not the lightest weight breathable downproof fabric. Does anyone know if ripstop is important in a sleeping bag shell? They also use Cuben fiber for the baffles which must save something like 15 grams if they use the lightest weight Cuben. I'm mostly interested from a MYOG perspective. I thought of using Cuben for the baffles but worried that the lack of stretch might be an issue.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Orion » Sun 06 Oct, 2013 10:11 am

DannyS wrote:I already have the bag but I live alone so no one to take the photo :) I can post a photo of it minus me :D

No self timer on your camera?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Sun 06 Oct, 2013 10:24 am

Orion wrote:
DannyS wrote:I think this bag is something in between a bag and a quilt even though it has the full length zip. Because of the positioning of the zipper and lack of hood I can open it up fully and it works as a quilt, but if need be I like that I can zip it up and have a fully sealed bag for the colder nights. I also turn a lot in my sleep and have had no issue with this bag resulting from that.

Every full length zippered and hooded bag I own can also be used as a quilt.

I am yet to try a quilt, but from my understanding the point of a quilt is to provide more warmth for the weight.

Using a regular sleeping bag as a quilt means carrying a fair bit of unnecessary fabric and you will also end up laying on some of the insulation, unless very particular with down control. And to get it closed up nice and tight, its not really a quilt anymore as you may as well zip it up.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DannyS » Sun 06 Oct, 2013 10:30 am

Orion wrote:

Every full length zippered and hooded bag I own can also be used as a quilt. The difference between a quilt and a zippered bag is mostly that quilts generally do not have zippers or hoods.

That bag you purchased looks very nice, by the way. Is the neck draft collar a special order? I don't see that option on the zpacks website. What does your bag weigh?

I notice they use the "lightest weight ripstop nylon" in their bags but not the lightest weight breathable downproof fabric. Does anyone know if ripstop is important in a sleeping bag shell? They also use Cuben fiber for the baffles which must save something like 15 grams if they use the lightest weight Cuben. I'm mostly interested from a MYOG perspective. I thought of using Cuben for the baffles but worried that the lack of stretch might be an issue.

Yes neck draft collar was special order, I contacted joe and he organised it for me, collar works a treat, a perfect seal once cinched down. The full length double zipper and neck draft collar bring the bag weight to 760grams, 800grams with cuben stuff sack.
Last edited by DannyS on Sun 06 Oct, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
DannyS

Postby DannyS » Sun 06 Oct, 2013 10:32 am

Orion wrote:
DannyS wrote:I already have the bag but I live alone so no one to take the photo :) I can post a photo of it minus me :D

No self timer on your camera?

No, I've only got an iPhone, if I can organise someone I'll post some photos soon?
DannyS

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Sun 06 Oct, 2013 12:21 pm

I've got the zpacks bag on the way on a 20F long, with full length zipper to make it more of a true quilt hybrid.

Has landed in Australia so should only be a few days away.

I will try and put my thoughts up once I get it. Paired with my Neo all seasons, have got my sleeping weight down from about 2kg to 1.2kg for about the same warmth with a down hat.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby DannyS » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 9:17 am

Here are some photos of the 10F Zpacks bag and Zpacks down hoody, I'll be heading off on a 4 day hike tomorrow so excuse me if I don't reply till Saturday.
Attachments
IMG_1565.jpg
IMG_1565.jpg (13.22 KiB) Viewed 25105 times
IMG_1568.jpg
IMG_1568.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 25105 times
IMG_1570.jpg
IMG_1570.jpg (13.45 KiB) Viewed 25105 times
DannyS

Postby wayno » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 9:18 am

looks like a cosy cut
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DannyS » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 9:40 am

wayno wrote:looks like a cosy cut

Yes it's an efficient cut, but I've found it still allows me to rotate freely inside with ease.
DannyS

Postby Joomy » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 8:42 pm

I love my Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20. Haven't pushed the rating much yet but my 6'6 Long has 450g of down and weighs 670 grams and is in fact wide enough to wrap almost fully around me on cold nights.
Joomy

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby simonm » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 8:46 pm

Joomy wrote:I love my Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20. Haven't pushed the rating much yet but my 6'6 Long has 450g of down and weighs 670 grams and is in fact wide enough to wrap almost fully around me on cold nights.

What width have you got Joomy? You must be a tall bugger I have the 5'6 :roll: .

Tim does make a nice quilt.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 8:48 pm

Any issues with down movement between the Karo baffles on the EnLIGHTened quilts?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 9:20 pm

I haven't experienced any Strider but I have only used it a handful of times.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Joomy » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 11:31 pm

simonm wrote:
Joomy wrote:I love my Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20. Haven't pushed the rating much yet but my 6'6 Long has 450g of down and weighs 670 grams and is in fact wide enough to wrap almost fully around me on cold nights.

What width have you got Joomy? You must be a tall bugger I have the 5'6 :roll: .

Tim does make a nice quilt.

Mine's the wide as well as long. Yes it is a beast. Actually Tim first accidentally sent me a 6' regular and it was only slightly too short for me at 6'4 -- I could have gotten away with it but possibly would have had cold toes on cold nights. I was considering going for the long/wide but I figured for 40 extra grams or whatever the extra 10cm width was worth it. The thing is huge though. It can easily cover two people on a warmer night, but it might be draft with tossing and turning thrown in.

Strider wrote:Any issues with down movement between the Karo baffles on the EnLIGHTened quilts?

Like simon I haven't used mine much yet but I know in 2012 Tim reduced the gap size between the baffles to minimise accidental down shifting.
Joomy

Postby Strider » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 11:43 pm

I knew about the change to the baffles. Sounds like everyone is very happy with these quilts!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 2:45 am

DannyS wrote:The full length double zipper and neck draft collar bring the bag weight to 760grams, 800grams with cuben stuff sack.

Is this a typo? I can't believe your stuff sack weighs 40g.

In any case that's pretty light for a 10°F bag (or lower with the added neck collar). My 5°F bag (WM Antelope) weighs 1105g according to the spec.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joomy » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 3:47 pm

I also considered making my own quilt before I bought my EE Rev but being a sub-zero quilt I wanted features like box baffling and mat attachment points that I decided would make the construction process much harder. Plus the price was great at the time (they've gone up now due to the increasing cost of down).

I'd still love to make a summer weight quilt. Orion, how many grams of down does yours have?
Joomy

Postby Orion » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 2:48 am

Joomy, I don't remember the exact amount. The so-called down quilt kit I bought comes with 12 ounces (340 grams) of 900 fill white goose down (now only the less cosmetically appealing gray 900 fill is available) but they gave me a little extra, maybe 12.5 ounces? I can't remember. Loss due to spillage during filling was minimal and I ended up using it all, so I'll guess and say 350 grams. It has kept me warm and cozy down to 0°C without a tent on a windless night on at least one occasion. My girlfriend fell in love with my quilt while we were in Tasmania last year so now I have another one of these quilt kits waiting for me to find the time to sew a second one.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DannyS » Fri 11 Oct, 2013 8:11 pm

Orion wrote:
DannyS wrote:The full length double zipper and neck draft collar bring the bag weight to 760grams, 800grams with cuben stuff sack.

In any case that's pretty light for a 10°F bag (or lower with the added neck collar). My 5°F bag (WM Antelope) weighs 1105g according to the spec.

Sorry, I just weighed it again and it's 27grams? not sure where I got 40grams from?
DannyS

Postby DannyS » Fri 11 Oct, 2013 8:19 pm

Orion wrote:

Orion when I spoke with Joe I asked how they come to there temp ratings, he told me it was with all of his clothing on and then he would be a little cold. So really the temp rating is the very limit of comfort, this bag so far has proven to be very warm, but I'm a cold sleeper and I know for sure I couldn't get this bag comfortably down to -12C.
DannyS

Postby wayno » Sat 12 Oct, 2013 3:11 am

go to the local butchers, or supermarket, tell them its life or death, you need to use their deep freeze for important life saving work....
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Sat 12 Oct, 2013 3:44 am

DannyS wrote:Orion when I spoke with Joe I asked how they come to there temp ratings, he told me it was with all of his clothing on and then he would be a little cold. So really the temp rating is the very limit of comfort, this bag so far has proven to be very warm, but I'm a cold sleeper and I know for sure I couldn't get this bag comfortably down to -12C.

It is hard to make comparisons between different brands based on their temp ratings. Western Mountaineering basically says that their ratings are meaningless since it is the person's metabolism that is the main factor in whether you'll be warm in one bag versus another. But you can make rough comparisons based on loft. My bag lofts to 18cm (two layers) versus 7cm baffle height in yours. That would suggest the loft in my bag is ~30% higher. Maybe. My bag isn't wide but it is wider than your quilt, it has a hood, a zipper, and about 75% more down fill. I'd rather be zipped up in my bag in the winter. But I'd rather carry yours.

DannyS wrote:Sorry, I just weighed it again and it's 27grams? not sure where I got 40grams from?

27 grams still seems heavy. My current home made quilt stuff sack weighs 9 grams and it's made out of 0.7 oz/yd² material. The zpacks stuff sacks are made out of 0.5 oz/yd² Cuben. The three sizes they sell seperately for quilts range from 7 grams to 11 grams. Either zpacks sent you an oddly heavy stuff sack or you need a new scale.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DannyS » Sat 12 Oct, 2013 9:22 am

Orion wrote:
DannyS wrote:Orion when I spoke with Joe I asked how they come to there temp ratings, he told me it was with all of his clothing on and then he would be a little cold. So really the temp rating is the very limit of comfort, this bag so far has proven to be very warm, but I'm a cold sleeper and I know for sure I couldn't get this bag comfortably down to -12C.

It is hard to make comparisons between different brands based on their temp ratings. Western Mountaineering basically says that their ratings are meaningless since it is the person's metabolism that is the main factor in whether you'll be warm in one bag versus another. But you can make rough comparisons based on loft. My bag lofts to 18cm (two layers) versus 7cm baffle height in yours. That would suggest the loft in my bag is ~30% higher. Maybe. My bag isn't wide but it is wider than your quilt, it has a hood, a zipper, and about 75% more down fill. I'd rather be zipped up in my bag in the winter. But I'd rather carry yours.

DannyS wrote:Sorry, I just weighed it again and it's 27grams? not sure where I got 40grams from?

27 grams still seems heavy. My current home made quilt stuff sack weighs 9 grams and it's made out of 0.7 oz/yd² material. The zpacks stuff sacks are made out of 0.5 oz/yd² Cuben. The three sizes they sell seperately for quilts range from 7 grams to 11 grams. Either zpacks sent you an oddly heavy stuff sack or you need a new scale.

Geez Orion you had my hopes up there for a second :) thought perhaps my scales were reading heavy and my pack weight was even lighter! Alas they are accurate :(
I've just checked the Zpacks website and the roll top medium plus cuben dry bag(I gather it is this one I have?) weighs 27grams, you might be looking at the standard pull top bags?
DannyS

PreviousNext

Return to Ultralight backpacking