How to Choose an Ultralight Tent or Shelter:

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Postby wayno » Tue 23 Feb, 2016 3:44 pm

from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: How to Choose an Ultralight Tent or Shelter:

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 23 Feb, 2016 5:21 pm

Sounds like we all need that n+1 UL tents to cover the next area of interest. ;)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 9:39 am

A couple of points that stood out (to me...)
under the double wall part
Prone to internal condensation because they have relatively poor ventilation
I would think that most TT Scarp owners will disagree with that..

under tarp tents :
Seam-sealing is required before use because these shelters are usually made by small manufacturers that skip that step to save cost
All of the manufacturers quoted in that section offer seam sealing for around $35.
If seam sealing was logistically possible for every shelter produced by them, the cost would be passed on to the customer just as seam taping is part of the cost of a shelter that comes factory sealed.
On average about 10% of our customers (Tarptent) get the seam sealing done by us so about 90% do it themselves maybe to save money or because they can (...) or simply because they did not find the seam sealing option.

Anyway just small points and really it is very difficult to write comments about a category (double wall tents/ tarp tents) and have those comments spot on for all of them.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 12:43 pm

Franco wrote:A couple of points that stood out (to me...)
under the double wall part
Prone to internal condensation because they have relatively poor ventilation

Haven't read the article, but this criticism is a load of bollocks in my experience. Condensation depends on a number of factors but the position and size of fly vents and the external weather conditions are the major issues.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby RonK » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 2:14 pm

RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby kitty » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 4:05 pm

I enjoyed reading these two articles, lots of informaton.
Regarding the comment that single wall tents have less condensation than double wall tents - I also think that comment is NQR.
Ive had my double wall tent pitched at Echo point amongst the trees, zero condensation, totally dry. A few days earlier pictched at Windamere on a platform had fair amount of condensation in the morning.
Ive also had a single wall tent pictched in western australia amongst the trees with heaps of condensation.
Single wall versus double wall had nothing to do with the condensation on either of these two tents in these cases.
Both the tents are ones mentioned in the two articles.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby photohiker » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 4:56 pm

The article is a couple of years old, but I was surprised to read this:

A backpacker wants to reduce his gear weight by replacing a freestanding Big Agnes Copper Spur with a Tarptent Notch but is concerned about how easy it is to pitch on the wooden tent site platforms which he encounters 99.9% of his trips in the White Mountains.

I suggested that he keep the Copper Spur if he always camps on platforms because the Tarptent Notch would be a pain in the *&%$#! to pitch on them,

Strangely, I have a Notch, and I have pitched it on wooden platforms with no dramas. I don't know if Phillip has a Notch, but like any tent, you need to be familiar with the tent before you can make such a claim. Is a Notch more complex to pitch than say a freestanding tent?, sure, but only slightly. Has it ever been a 'pain in the *&%$#!' to pitch anywhere I have pitched it? Nope :)

Experience and practice makes the difference.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whitefang » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 5:01 pm

photohiker wrote:The article is a couple of years old, but I was surprised to read this:

A backpacker wants to reduce his gear weight by replacing a freestanding Big Agnes Copper Spur with a Tarptent Notch but is concerned about how easy it is to pitch on the wooden tent site platforms which he encounters 99.9% of his trips in the White Mountains.

I suggested that he keep the Copper Spur if he always camps on platforms because the Tarptent Notch would be a pain in the *&%$#! to pitch on them,

Strangely, I have a Notch, and I have pitched it on wooden platforms with no dramas. I don't know if Phillip has a Notch, but like any tent, you need to be familiar with the tent before you can make such a claim. Is a Notch more complex to pitch than say a freestanding tent?, sure, but only slightly. Has it ever been a 'pain in the *&%$#!' to pitch anywhere I have pitched it? Nope :)

I'm not sure if Philip still owns a Notch, but he has previously reviewed one so would have spent some time using one.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Strider » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 6:20 pm

Windamere. The only place I've ever woken up the next day with wet hair. In my Scarp 1.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 7:24 pm

whitefang wrote:
photohiker wrote:The article is a couple of years old, but I was surprised to read this:

I'm not sure if Philip still owns a Notch, but he has previously reviewed one so would have spent some time using one.

You're absolutely correct: http://sectionhiker.com/tarptent-notch-tent-review/

Doesn't explain the (apparently large and complicated) pitch differences between the Big Agnes Copper Spur and the Notch though. It does come down to practice and experience. Looking at the big agnes, I think I'd stick with the Notch, have a look at the Big Agnes:

Doesn't look like it can be integral pitched in poor weather to me...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sat 27 Feb, 2016 7:32 am

I woke up one morning inside my Scarp with a damp sleeping bag footbox and generally damp environment.
I had ,by mistake, closed all the vents. (a windy and sunny day dried the bag up)
Fixed that for the next night , virtually identical conditions (same spot) dry in the morning.
I call the first night "user error" and no I am not too proud to admit I make mistakes...
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lorrainey100 » Sat 27 Feb, 2016 11:00 am

photohiker wrote:
whitefang wrote:
photohiker wrote:....

You're absolutely correct: http://sectionhiker.com/tarptent-notch-tent-review/

Doesn't explain the (apparently large and complicated) pitch differences between the Big Agnes Copper Spur and the Notch though. It does come down to practice and experience. Looking at the big agnes, I think I'd stick with the Notch, have a look at the Big Agnes:

Doesn't look like it can be integral pitched in poor weather to me...

I've had the Tarptent notch and it was a pain to pitch in windy conditions. Wind kept getting under the tent and pulling the pegs out and this was just in my backyard. Hence, I replaced it with a Tarptent Moment DW and a Big Agnes Copper Spur...no more issues pitching in the wind.
lorrainey100
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby photohiker » Sat 27 Feb, 2016 2:03 pm

Yep, practice and experience is required.

I've pitched the Notch in windy conditions. I carry extra side guys for windy times but haven't ever had a peg pull out (yet) :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Ultralight backpacking