Efficiency/weight of different stove and pot sizes

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Efficiency/weight of different stove and pot sizes

Postby Warin » Fri 24 Mar, 2023 3:56 pm

Hi,

Gear Skeptic has just released his first video on "Backpacking Stove Efficiency".

This is "Part 1 Pot Diameter- Burner Size- Flame Level"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Sz3IQ_DW4

Worth a watch... very interesting..
Lids .. for smaller pots .. lids should be <6grams to be worthwhile in terms of weight saved.

Of course low flame level gives best efficiency. But pot size gets more difficult.

-----------------
I want to see what he comes up with for wind effects...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Efficiency/weight of different stove and pot sizes

Postby crollsurf » Fri 24 Mar, 2023 6:11 pm

I can see a lot more videos coming out of this. Titanium v other offerings. Testing stoves in wind...

Anecdotally, after spending a lot of time and money trying different setups, I've settled on canister gas, the Soto Amicus stove, and a GSI Soloist pot.

Gas just because of it reliability. The Amicus because it's simplicity and how it handles wind. And the GSI pot because it spreads heat evenly, so less chance of burning food and its ease of cleaning.

I really hope Gear Sceptics continues to take a closer look into all of this. His approach is so much better than my try this and see how it goes approach.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Fri 24 Mar, 2023 6:27 pm

There are so many variables. I’ll be interested in the outcome. Even in my varied requirements in the bush/snow, what might work well for one type of trip is not ideal for another. Gas is great for some trips (snow or short bushwalking trips), but wood burning twigs better for others (NZ backcountry fly fishing).
A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Mon 27 Mar, 2023 8:40 am

Nothing new in the video for people that use their gear a fair bit and have trialled the BRS surely?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Warin » Mon 27 Mar, 2023 10:43 am

Lamont wrote:Nothing new in the video for people that use their gear a fair bit and have trialled the BRS surely?

:?: So you have tested the effect of a lid to see what weight of gas it saves? What numbers did you get? I only tested for the weight of gas consumed for my 'normal' boil... did not think to test for the lid. I am yet to test for wind and wind deflector... usually just set up in the lee of the tent / tent vestibule.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 28 Mar, 2023 4:34 pm

crollsurf wrote:I can see a lot more videos coming out of this. Titanium v other offerings. Testing stoves in wind...

Anecdotally, after spending a lot of time and money trying different setups, I've settled on canister gas, the Soto Amicus stove, and a GSI Soloist pot.

Gas just because of it reliability. The Amicus because it's simplicity and how it handles wind. And the GSI pot because it spreads heat evenly, so less chance of burning food and its ease of cleaning.

I really hope Gear Sceptics continues to take a closer look into all of this. His approach is so much better than my try this and see how it goes approach.
If reliability is one of your main criteria then metho stoves could be the go.
No moving parts or small apertures to get blocked.

Of course, there are other considerations that might make you lean other ways.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Franco » Sat 01 Jul, 2023 7:26 pm

Something that I found to be rather bizarre is the way that my typical reply (it depends..) to " How many meals can you cook with a 100 g canister ? ' or similar question is almost always ignored.
I point out that one can half or double (or more) simply by using a different size pot, different pot material, different gas level, at different air temperatures, in calm or windy weather , water at different starting temp and all or some of those combined.
yet the double or half does get regularly ignored....
Yes , I am fully aware that we have a shorter and shorter attention span and we all want a simple answer but there isn't one.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Sun 02 Jul, 2023 7:11 pm

Tonight I enjoyed rump steak and cous cous on the mini Trangia. Have only boiled water for coffee previously on this little one. Used the 360° brand frypan but the mini's lid would have worked. Half a burner of metho with a dash of water. Some flame left to eat by :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Tue 18 Jul, 2023 11:44 am

Franco wrote:Yes , I am fully aware that we have a shorter and shorter attention span and we all want a simple answer but there isn't one.

Well part 2 is out - effects of wind. And again there is no simple answer :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r-2hZ8UCeA
~35 minutes of information.
Caution. A 'non trivial amount of consternation' occurs @ 20.5 minutes.

Part 3 will also be interesting - effects of wind shields... He takes about 3 months to generate the next part.. so there will be again a waiting time. Along with the short attention span goes the expectation of frequent updates .. these too are missing here :twisted:

And I'd think there will be no simple answer in part 3 ... it is just so dependent of the combination of factors, the ones you cannot control are the ones where you have to estimate the range of values and then estimate the best of the items you can control (eg burner type, pot size, lid, wind shield).

Part 4 ??? Heat Exchanges ???
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Gear Reviews