[Backpack | Unboxing] Whipper, Wollemi, 90 Ultralight $679

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

[Backpack | Unboxing] Whipper, Wollemi, 90 Ultralight $679

Postby jvangemert » Wed 19 Jun, 2024 12:59 pm

I was in the market for a light but robust, expedition (8 to 14 days) size backpack a close to 100L as I could get. The larger size is also necessary to accommodate a packraft and its associated paddles, helmet, life vest, bailer etc. In many situations all of this needs to go inside the pack to et on a plane and to avoid being caught on scrub. My current pack is large at 105L and robust enough but weighs 3.1kg. It started out at 3.58kg. When looking around, there were plenty in the 40 to 60L range with a couple in the 70L. I emailed Summit Gear in January. They had their lightweight Overland series and started a phone discussion with Rob about needs sizes, materials etc. It was like I had my own bespoke backpack designer. He kept me informed and 6 months later, I bought Wollemi 90L in my size for $669. I bought the two hip belt pockets, expedition hood and helmet net. I went for the white on black colour scheme as it would be more visible in the bush. The lime accents and harness etc looks good and crisp. So a Wollemi with the lot $925 delivered. I paid full price for this backpack.
The base pack in my size and hipbelt is exactly 1.3kg, The 10L hood is 105g, each side pocket is 55g and the helmet net is 24g. Grand total 1.54kg.
This half the weight of my current pack and a whopping 1.5g off my base backpacking weight.
All this is designed and manufactured here in Katoomba. The cost, weight and materials are all all on par if not exceed what is available elsewhere.
I could not wait and threw some gear inside it, helmet and paddles on the outside and put it on. Still to fully adjust and fiddle with things. Hipbelt and straps all very comfortable on this first fit. I will add to this review after a proper field testing weekend.
The pack is all well constructed with good stitching, padding and seam sealing. Neat and tidy with nothing superfluous.
Comes with side compression straps, load lifters, hipbelt stabilisers etc. A sac and port for your hydration tube. Two stretch side pockets, a rear pocket and in my case the two hipbelt and expedition hood. So lots of storage options. I do not think that I'm missing out on anything. Nice.
IMG_0131.JPG
Whipper, Wollemi, 90 Ultralight, without expedition hood

IMG_0132.JPG
Whipper, Wollemi, 90 Ultralight, with expedition hood

IMG_0127.JPG
Whipper, Wollemi, stretch side pocket

IMG_0126.JPG
Whipper, Wollemi, hip belt pockets, handy for snacks, sunscreen and phone etc.

IMG_0128.JPG
Whipper, Wollemi, helmet net. Very useful for such a bulky item.

So if you're in the market or know of someone who is, check them out and put them on your list, send them around as I'm happy to show them. PM message me, I'm in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. There is no commission. I would just really like to support the local manufacturer. It is important that we do that and what you will also get out it is the backup and support.
jvangemert
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: [Backpack | Unboxing] Whipper, Wollemi, 90 Ultralight $6

Postby Warin » Wed 19 Jun, 2024 3:33 pm

Nice.
How do you find the 'frame'?

I do like the present Durston backpack (no I don't have one).. but it is not available in white .. and this one is. As Summit Gear is up in Katoomba I should go and take a look .. but they are 'out of stock' at the moment.

https://summitgear.com.au/collections/hike-packs
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Aushiker » Wed 19 Jun, 2024 6:06 pm

Warin wrote:Nice.
How do you find the 'frame'?

I do like the present Durston backpack (no I don't have one).. but it is not available in white .. and this one is. As Summit Gear is up in Katoomba I should go and take a look .. but they are 'out of stock' at the moment.

https://summitgear.com.au/collections/hike-packs

I'm just throwing this out there, but Granite Gear does some white models. https://www.50days.com.au/ are the local distributors I believe.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby crollsurf » Wed 19 Jun, 2024 6:26 pm

Let's see how the ski season pans out, but this pack looks perfect for overnight ski touring

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Gear Reviews