AAWT advice

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Re: AAWT advice

Postby north-north-west » Sat 09 Jul, 2022 11:06 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Is this satire?

No.

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Who would try to cover the entire AAWT without doing 5-6-7 days of one of the tougher sections in Victoria to find out if they were faintly suited to such a mission?

People.
I once passed a bunch of wannabes on their day four of the AAWT - below Mushrom Rocks. In October. One was carrying a massive steel cooking pot (at least 15L capacity) in their hands, because there was no room in anyone's pack for it. Only one person was wearing gaiters, and she was the only one who had ever done a multiday walk. Most were in jeans. Trying to tell them how much snow was still on the higher ground was futile - they thought I was joking. They were sure they'd get back on schedule when they'd had a bit more time on the track.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 09 Jul, 2022 3:13 pm

north-north-west wrote:I once passed a bunch of wannabes on their day four of the AAWT - below Mushrom Rocks. In October. One was carrying a massive steel cooking pot (at least 15L capacity) in their hands, because there was no room in anyone's pack for it. Only one person was wearing gaiters, and she was the only one who had ever done a multiday walk. Most were in jeans. Trying to tell them how much snow was still on the higher ground was futile - they thought I was joking. They were sure they'd get back on schedule when they'd had a bit more time on the track.

Day four at Mushroom Rocks defies belief. The only way that such people can be made aware of reality is to experience it themselves. I wonder how far they got. By day five at St Phillack and day six at Stronanchs, unless they had a lot of extra food they are off the AAWT.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 09 Jul, 2022 5:21 pm

GBW wrote:My guess is he underestimated the difficulty and overestimated his abilities.

Bingo! A man (or woman) after my own heart. :wink:
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 10 Jul, 2022 7:33 pm

The most amusing post from the would be English master of the entire AAWT from the North hampton , UK , home of the hard core solo mission accomplished ( almost )

trekkker of the AAWT who quivered at the sight of Mushroom Rocks and
personally wet himself ;-P at the effort of ascending Fingerboard spur:

"I discovered yesterday that the compass I've bought will be next to useless in Australia, as the needle will be weighted for use in the Northern hemisphere it won't work properly in the southern hemisphere.
My two options are to buy a 'world' compass that's designed for use in either hemisphere, or buy another normal compass on arrival in Australia.
I'll most likely still bring the original compass with me to use as a backup"

Gormless is a word that comes to mind.

The Section of the AAWT where one usually does battle with the T spur and Duane spur in one day and throw in a river crossing and few leeches at Big River, that would have blown his mind.
:lol: :shock: :roll:
The section from Mt. MacDonald to King Billy Saddle would have made him wish he had stayed at home in the UK and just walked to the doughnut shop in the rain instead. :wink:

;-P
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 18 Aug, 2022 7:52 pm

Having recently skied some of the AAWT over the BHP I am in awe of the skills, tenacity , stamina and fitness
of the Oates brothers who did the full AAWT in snow .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Previous

Return to AAWT