AAWT - section hike Dec

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

AAWT - section hike Dec

Postby PriyaS » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 11:28 am

Hey guys,
Looking to see if anyone has done a recent section hike of the AAWT. Looking to go for 2-3 weeks early December and there are so many notices of closures etc. Thought id check in here in case anyone has done a recent section hike and could give me some recommendations.
We're in NSW now and would be looking at public transport to trail head (we're hiking at the mo so no car). But with boarder restrictions easing open to a section in Vic or ACT. Thanks!!
PriyaS
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: AAWT - section hike Dec

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 1:11 pm

PriyaS wrote:Hey guys,
Looking to see if anyone has done a recent section hike of the AAWT. Looking to go for 2-3 weeks early December and there are so many notices of closures etc. Thought id check in here in case anyone has done a recent section hike and could give me some recommendations.
We're in NSW now and would be looking at public transport to trail head (we're hiking at the mo so no car). But with boarder restrictions easing open to a section in Vic or ACT. Thanks!!

There will be more knowledgable folks about the AAWT, but from what I understand about the Walhalla - Hotham section:
There's public transport to Hotham (a bus service runs 3 times a week from Bright to Omeo - another bus connects Bright to Wangarratta which has train to Melbourne - Sydney see below).

The section from Walhalla to Hotham is open, might be some fire Damage between Barry Saddle to Hotham, but I think the track's open and water may be in tanks (with soot?) and we've had a bit of rain, so should be creek water available.

No public transport to Walhalla, so taxi to Moe, Morwell or some other location on Bairnsdale train line and train to Melbourne.

The section could be made a bit longer including Bogong High plains, Mt Bogong, but you'd have to get down to Mt Beauty which has a bus that runs to Wangarratta or Albury (train from there to other places).

Are you planing on doing a food drop(s)? If so, public transport won't help you out there.

Transport links:
Melb. to Mt Beauty:
https://www.vline.com.au/getattachment/ ... -Beauty-(1)
Albury to Mt Beauty:
https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/route/5125/a ... nga-south/
Bright to Omeo bus:
http://dysongroup.com.au/alps-link (Bright to Omeo bus)

Anyway, not sure if that's helpful and caveat lector as I've not taken these buses/trains.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 08 Dec, 2020 6:12 pm

I was out on the King Billy to Cross cut saw section of the AAWT and the Mt. Wills to Mt. Bogong section, respectively , during Nov. 2020. It is open and generally walkable. We found water flowing in many places.
There is a train from Melb. to Moe. There may even be buses to Erica and Rawson which gets you closer to Walhalla.
There is a bus from Wangaratta to Harrietville and Omeo via Mt. Hotham and Dinner plain ski village , also a bus goes to Mt. Beauty from Wangaratta( I think ).
In ski season a bus travels from Albury to Thredbo. I am not sure about green season.
Buses go from Melbourne to Mansfield. Then you might have to hitch a ride to get closer to the AAWT from there. Plenty of 4 WD enthusiasts head up to that area in green season.
Without a vehicle, posting food drops to various places faintly near the route you wish to hike could be the only way to do it. For instance my friend walked the whole SW walk in SW Vic. . She posted a supply drop to Nelson Post Office.This may only leave Mt. Hotham, Mt. Beauty , Benambra and Thredbo as options for such a scheme.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 11 Dec, 2020 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby peregrinator » Thu 10 Dec, 2020 12:52 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote: . . . also a bus goes to Mt. Beauty from Wangaratta . . .

V-Line bus operates between Wang and Bright. You'll need to get a taxi to travel between Bright and Mount Beauty.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Thu 10 Dec, 2020 9:06 pm

peregrinator wrote:
paidal_chalne_vala wrote: . . . also a bus goes to Mt. Beauty from Wangaratta . . .

V-Line bus operates between Wang and Bright. You'll need to get a taxi to travel between Bright and Mount Beauty.

You can get a bus from Bright to Mount Beauty. I posted a link.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Fri 11 Dec, 2020 9:38 am

Baeng72 wrote:
peregrinator wrote:

You can get a bus from Bright to Mount Beauty. I posted a link.

But your links contradict your statement.

The Bright-Omeo bus doesn't go through Mount Beauty.

Of the two V-Line services, one is a bus between Albury and Mount Beauty. The other is a bus between Wangaratta and Bright, then a taxi between Bright and Mount Beauty, three times per week.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 11 Dec, 2020 11:06 am

peregrinator wrote:
But your links contradict your statement.

The Bright-Omeo bus doesn't go through Mount Beauty.

Of the two V-Line services, one is a bus between Albury and Mount Beauty. The other is a bus between Wangaratta and Bright, then a taxi between Bright and Mount Beauty, three times per week.

You are correct. I didn't check the timetable to see the taxi section.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Fri 11 Dec, 2020 2:05 pm

My apologies, Baeng, if my banging on about the transport details might have been interpreted as me having a go at you. Far from it. It's just that I've done the Melbourne-Wangaratta-Mount Beauty V-Line trip several times. I call it my How to Bushwalk Bogong High Plains by Public Transport expedition.

The taxi section is worthwhile because the taxi driver Brian is a very helpful bloke.

I've had similar assistance from the mini-bus driver (Genoa-Mallacoota) on How to Bushwalk Croajingolong NP trips, among others.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 11 Dec, 2020 2:17 pm

peregrinator wrote:My apologies, Baeng, if my banging on about the transport details might have been interpreted as me having a go at you. Far from it. It's just that I've done the Melbourne-Wangaratta-Mount Beauty V-Line trip several times. I call it my How to Bushwalk Bogong High Plains by Public Transport expedition.

The taxi section is worthwhile because the taxi driver Brian is a very helpful bloke.

I've had similar assistance from the mini-bus driver (Genoa-Mallacoota) on How to Bushwalk Croajingolong NP trips, among others.

No dramas. I was wrong.
Also, someone is planning (potentially) a trip based on this info, so it's better that they get the correct info.
In the future, I have in mind a traverse from Hotham to Mt Beauty and plan on using PT/taxi at both ends.
Is the taxi expensive?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dashandsaph » Mon 14 Dec, 2020 4:44 pm

If it's of any assistance, I did the Melb/Wang/Bright/Beauty run a couple of weeks ago - $49, I then got a taxi up to Watchbed Creek, past Falls Creek on the BHP Road, that was a further $140. I asked about Hotham to Falls taxi (apparently a fairly regular run) and I think the price was $340. I used Mt Beauty Taxis and Transfers and there is also a similar service based in Bright.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dashandsaph » Mon 14 Dec, 2020 4:49 pm

On the way out I was collected by Mountain Top Experience (5134 6876) at the Howitt Car Park and driven to Morwell station and that worked very well and cost $300. That avoided a car parked for 6 days and a 5 hour car shuffle and then a 5 hour drive home at the end of the walk - instead it was beers and parmas in Morwell then snoozed home on the train - 4 people in a 6 carriage train!
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Mon 14 Dec, 2020 5:35 pm

Hey dashandsaph. We were the trio at Howitt road having a beer as you finished and Ron picked you up. We crossed paths at canyon road and Barry Saddle. Looked into the Mariposa pack one of your crew had, I'm placing an order for three despite ridiculous shipping due to current USPS debacle. The roast, veggies and port topped off an amazing night, we also fed Josh, a weary solo viking circuit walker, he was a happy camper- hot dinner and beer. A clear night with the Milky way sprayed across the sky. Thanks for your patience for off topic.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dashandsaph » Tue 15 Dec, 2020 8:50 am

PM sent
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to AAWT