Viking Saddle

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Viking Saddle

Postby bernieq » Wed 01 Mar, 2023 9:32 pm

As at 1 March 2023, the Viking Saddle is completely dry - checked all the way down to the drop (can't call it a waterfall - no water, not even a puddle).

It will be quite challenging to carry enough water between Barry Saddle & Camp Creek (both Camp Creek & Mac Springs are OK, although slower that usual flow rates).

Given this, I'd also be concerned about water availability at Hellfire Creek.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Viking Saddle

Postby Cleanboots » Thu 02 Mar, 2023 10:09 am

Hi bernieq,

Thanks so much for posting this, your timing is impeccable as a friend and I will be walking that section soon.

As a follow up question, I was wondering, did you make it to the water tank at Barry Saddle? If so, was there water in it?

Thanks again.
Cleanboots
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby bernieq » Thu 02 Mar, 2023 12:24 pm

Cleanboots wrote:the water tank at Barry Saddle? If so, was there water in it?

Sorry, can't help with that one. We were doing the Viking Loop (clockwise) & because of the flows at Camp Creek & Mac Springs (see https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=40474 ) we carried additional water, anticipating VS to be dry.

I will say that we had a couple of ml rain on the night of Sat 25 Feb (Mt Spec) - if the tank & tap are in good condition, I would think there would be some water in the tank. However, it would be impossible, I reckon, to carry enough water to bypass Barry Saddle tank & VS.

bernieq

Postby Cleanboots » Thu 02 Mar, 2023 8:16 pm

Thanks for the reply, this information is invaluable! We shall carry plenty of water.
Cleanboots
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 02 Mar, 2023 8:49 pm

I believe that a new tank was installed at Barry Saddle a few years ago. This replaced the one that was from the 1970s. It may be prudent to check to see if the tanks in the Barries are still there. They probably are - it's been three years since the bushfires. Parks Victoria was giving consideration to tanks at The Knobs and Viking Saddle to make two long dry days viable. I do not know how far those plans have progressed. It's interesting that $15 million was allocated for the Falls Hotham Alpine Crossing and so much of the AAWT is in urgent need of attention.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Fri 03 Mar, 2023 5:59 am

Lophophaps wrote:I believe that a new tank was installed at Barry Saddle a few years ago. This replaced the one that was from the 1970s. It may be prudent to check to see if the tanks in the Barries are still there. They probably are - it's been three years since the bushfires. Parks Victoria was giving consideration to tanks at The Knobs and Viking Saddle to make two long dry days viable. I do not know how far those plans have progressed. It's interesting that $15 million was allocated for the Falls Hotham Alpine Crossing and so much of the AAWT is in urgent need of attention.

Pretty sure I read a post about the tanks at the Barrys still being intact.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bernieq » Mon 06 Mar, 2023 9:26 pm

For those used to better flows, this pic of Mac Springs might surprise

P1050059.jpg
Macalister Springs - low flow! 25 Feb 2023

bernieq

Postby Xplora » Tue 07 Mar, 2023 6:07 am

bernieq wrote:For those used to better flows, this pic of Mac Springs might surprise

P1050059.jpg

I would say that is typical of this time of year. After a couple of wet years it seems things are back to normal pretty quick. Thanks for posting.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 07 Mar, 2023 8:24 am

Except in early summer and after heavy rain Mac Springs has never had much water. One Easter I saw a person attempting to carry 20 litres of water plus a pack with food for four days from the Howitt car park to the hut. She was about 100 metres from the car and looked wrecked, swinging the water container half a metre, resting, another swing, puff, pant, repeat. I think that she went back to the car.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Tue 07 Mar, 2023 6:03 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Except in early summer and after heavy rain Mac Springs has never had much water. One Easter I saw a person attempting to carry 20 litres of water plus a pack with food for four days from the Howitt car park to the hut. She was about 100 metres from the car and looked wrecked, swinging the water container half a metre, resting, another swing, puff, pant, repeat. I think that she went back to the car.

I have seen some weird stuff carried in there by people who have no idea. As long as there is a trickle of water there is enough if you are patient. What you have described is typical of someone with no idea.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 07 Mar, 2023 6:04 pm

duplicate post deleted
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Cleanboots » Sun 06 Aug, 2023 9:40 am

Just as an update as I can’t see it was mentioned, the toilet at Mac Springs has a water tank on it (new maybe??). I know we should be dubious of relying on water tanks but I still thought it was worth mentioning.

Edit: replaced ‘me’ with ‘new’
Cleanboots
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to AAWT