Islands in the Mist

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Islands in the Mist

Postby Mickeymoo » Fri 30 May, 2008 6:21 pm

Gday all went for a walk the other day to camp on top of a mtn to photograph the sunset and sunrise, the sunset was mist! but it cleared at around 11:30pm and we got some magic views of the cloud filled vallies, but the mist returned several times, needless to say I was quite excited and spent most of the night peering out of the tent to watch the mist swirling below us. The sunrise in the morning was one of the most beautiful I have seen up in the mountains to date.
More photos can be seen at http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/mcikeymoo21/?start=0

Michael.

Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Islands in the Mist

Postby frank_in_oz » Fri 30 May, 2008 8:20 pm

Magic stuff. I bow in admiration. Thanks
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 30 May, 2008 8:44 pm

wonderful shots! which mountains are they?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Mickeymoo » Fri 30 May, 2008 8:48 pm

Thanks Frank and Nik, the photos are taken from the top of the needles.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Fri 30 May, 2008 9:17 pm

Mickymoo ,fantastic shots I am envious of your youth and expertise I will be taking my 2.7 mp mobile phone/camera on our walk tomorrow and dont expect that I will be posting any picks here :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Mickeymoo » Fri 30 May, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks Corvus, its amazing how good a shot a mobile phone camera can take these days though :)
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby woka » Fri 30 May, 2008 10:20 pm

Great photos Michael, thanks for sharing.
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Roy Rage » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 10:03 pm

Michael your photos are absolutely amazing!! it must take an even more amazing man to take those photos!! damn does that orange tent look good!!
Roy Rage
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Roy Rage » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 10:04 pm

ps. you got way to excited and kept me up all night!!
Roy Rage
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnw » Thu 19 Jun, 2008 9:44 am

These shots are inspirational, thanks for sharing them :) . Apart from the technical aspects of which gear you use etc, how long do you spend planning, preparing and setting up for each shot? I'm aware that well-known wilderness photographers often spend many hours waiting for the light to be correct etc. These look as though a lot of thought and work went into them, so I assume you use a similar approach (as opposed to my "take three quick snaps and run" :roll: ).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mickeymoo » Thu 19 Jun, 2008 7:19 pm

Thanks very much John.
I suppose you could say that a bit of planning goes into it but as far as sitting round for hours waiting for the light to be right that doesnt happen much unfortunatly (always seem to be too pressed for time) but a fair bit of planning goes into it I suppose such as identifying places of interest from maps, other photos etc, I love pouring over maps and looking for features/places that could be good at sunrise/set, also knowing the area you are going to, where the sun rises/set etc really helps, normally I will be looking all the time for possible spots I can go back to at sunset/rise etc.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris » Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:45 pm

Superb images Michael. Great to see your work again now you no longer appear on Red Bubble.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mickeymoo » Fri 20 Jun, 2008 8:15 am

Thanks Chris, but I haven't ever had any images on redbubble, must be someone else :)
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Fri 20 Jun, 2008 9:06 am

Mickeymoo wrote:(always seem to be too pressed for time)

I can relate to that :( . One of these days I'm going to go on a bushwalk where time is not an issue, and it doesn't matter if I spend 3 hours taking a photo.

Mickeymoo wrote:identifying places of interest from maps, other photos etc, I love pouring over maps and looking for features/places that could be good at sunrise/set, also knowing the area you are going to, where the sun rises/set etc really helps, normally I will be looking all the time for possible spots I can go back to at sunset/rise etc.

Great hints Mickeymoo, thanks! I often do a lot of research in terms of planning, but it's usually from a navigation/walk design perspective. Will have to start thinking more about the photo opportunties as well. :)
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Chris » Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:03 pm

Mickeymoo wrote:Thanks Chris, but I haven't ever had any images on redbubble, must be someone else :)

Strangely, your name is shared by an excellent photographer who used to belong. Thought there couldn't be more than one Mickeymoo!
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MJD » Fri 27 Jun, 2008 7:00 pm

Great shots. Most are looking West or Northwest across the Florentine Valley towards The Thumbs (see the third picture). Certainly the best pictures I've seen of this peak and I've tried a few times to get some. Well done.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Gallery