Mt Hugel, weekend 14-15 June 2008

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Mt Hugel, weekend 14-15 June 2008

Postby tasadam » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 10:19 am

Thought I would share these we took from a lovely weekend into Shadow Lake and climbing Mt Hugel.
Watersmeet

Cool fungi

Cool fungi (crop)

A stream on the side of the track towards Shadow Lake

Sticking out from nowhere - looked pretty cool.

Coral fern and snow

Interesting bark

Stripped

Mossy stuff

Sunrise at Shadow Lake, towards Rufus

Sunrise at Shadow Lake, towards Little Hugel

Sunrise at Shadow Lake, towards Little Hugel

Sunrise at Shadow Lake, towards Hugel

Sunrise at Shadow Lake, towards Rufus and Hugel

Sunrise at Shadow Lake - Little Hugel

A HDR image comprising several photos including the one above, enhancing the frost on the other side of the lake.

Frost on the side of the track

Tarns on the plateau between Little Hugel and Hugel

Summit of Hugel

Mt Rufus from Mt Hugel

Looking down on the upper reaches of the catchment for the Franklin River.

Looking down on the upper reaches of the catchment for the Franklin River.

Sunset at Shadow Lake

Sunset at Shadow Lake

Sunset at Shadow Lake

Sunset at Shadow Lake

Hope you enjoyed :)
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Hugel, weekend 14-15 June 2008

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 11:37 am

Nice, really nice. Another one on the list.

Loved the reflection pics

Thanks
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 4:18 pm

Very, very nice. Lake shadow and the surrounds are a really pretty spot. The photo of Rufus taken from Hugel is probably the best picture of Rufus I have seen. It shows what Rufus is really like.

For a while now I have been planning a walk to the spot in the two pictures below that shot of Rufus (Lake Hermione I believe). This should be very close to Orites Falls (they're approximately 700 m south-east from the lake). I figured to walk north-west from the first larger tarn that lies west of little Hugel and come around below Hugel. Did it look at all like it could be done? I have no idea what the falls are like.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nick S » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 6:36 pm

Great photos tasadam,
definitely worth the extra effort for that morning and evening light. I like that last one with the tree especially
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Mickeymoo » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 10:26 pm

Great series Adam, its a great little area up there.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NickD » Thu 28 Aug, 2008 5:02 pm

What was the plateau between Little Hugel & Hugel like? Very scrubby?
We got told it was quite scrubby, and so tackled the peak from the south over the boulder fields.
The scrub looks quite pleasent in your photos.

Awesome pics!!!
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 7:28 pm

Thanks for the comments.

walkinTas wrote:For a while now I have been planning a walk to the spot in the two pictures below that shot of Rufus (Lake Hermione I believe). This should be very close to Orites Falls (they're approximately 700 m south-east from the lake). I figured to walk north-west from the first larger tarn that lies west of little Hugel and come around below Hugel. Did it look at all like it could be done? I have no idea what the falls are like.

Doing that wasn't exactly on my mind, but I see no reason why not to give it a go... Jusging by the terrain I encountered, it can't be too bad so log as you aren't attempting it in the middle of winter or something.

I can't remember what the ascent would be like so perhaps Google Maps - terrain or a good study of the 1:25000 would be a better judge than my memory of it. http://maps.google.com.au/?ie=UTF8&ll=- ... 5&t=p&z=14
I tried setting a path but got
Walking directions are in beta.
Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths.

I'll go thru my other photos of that walk some time & see if I can find anything that suggests more on the possibility or otherwise. If I find anything I'll let you know. I do remember it looked like a cool place to kick about, I have always liked the idea of exploring the headwaters of the Franklin River but thought I would have to follow the Cheyne Range to do it - which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, judging by some of the Dombrovskis photos I have seen of that area, I think in the Wild Rivers book.

NickD wrote:What was the plateau between Little Hugel & Hugel like? Very scrubby?
We got told it was quite scrubby, and so tackled the peak from the south over the boulder fields.
The scrub looks quite pleasent in your photos.

Awesome pics!!!

I didn't find it very scrubby at all - the plateau is wild - no track, so good to fan out.
The tarn to the west of Little Hugel is easy to get to. Then you head up the slope, which can be scrubby if you don't pick a good route. But it isn't hard, and a reasonably short section to the top so no problem.
Then there's the plateau with its short scrub and lots of rock to walk on. So long as you are mindful to pick your route in front of you as you progress, you will be able to get across in a very minimal impact way.

Nick S wrote:Great photos tasadam,
definitely worth the extra effort for that morning and evening light. I like that last one with the tree especially

That photo was actually horribly under-exposed, and I had to do a lot of work on it (post-processing) to get it to look that good. Cool result tho, I'm pretty happy with it too.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Gallery