Ben Lomond National Park

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Ben Lomond National Park

Postby Giuliano » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 11:37 am

Some shots from an overnight trip in Ben Lomond.
Attachments
IMG_3258.jpg
IMG_3258.jpg (237.04 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
IMG_3269.jpg
IMG_3269.jpg (278.27 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
IMG_3278.jpg
IMG_3151.jpg
IMG_3151.jpg (298.09 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
IMG_3244a.jpg
IMG_3244a.jpg (143.65 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
Giuliano
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Ben Lomond National Park

Postby shazcol » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks Giuliano for the pictures. Can we get a few more details of your track / trip as it's not a highly visited place for camping generally. It's a nice place if it's not too windy.
If common sense is so common, why don't you see more of it?
shazcol
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Giuliano » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 7:24 pm

Unfortunately the trip didn't go to plan. It was our intention to try and get to Lake Youl but we got away too late in the day. We also wasted too much time and energy walking in zig zags around the water holes and plants just trying to make some distance. The weather on the first day was pretty ordinary too with around 40kmh winds. We were going down into the Rodway Valley when we thought nope, we will live to fight another day and headed back to a nice little spot just near the lake in the picture. It's just near Ossians throne. It didn't work out how we planned, but the site was great and we were greeted with some beautiful weather the next morning. If anyone else has advice on getting from the ski village to Lake Youl I'd love to hear it as it was a real slog just above Rodway Valley with plants being so thick and water holes everywhere.
Giuliano
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby shazcol » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 10:04 pm

Giuliano wrote:If anyone else has advice on getting from the ski village to Lake Youl I'd love to hear it as it was a real slog just above Rodway Valley with plants being so thick and water holes everywhere.

There are a couple of threads on this forum about Ben Lomond if you have a search and they may help. One option would be to come up from Storys Creek end and include Stacks Bluff, Story's or Sphinx. One route follows Storys Creek, the other comes out near Denison Crag. I think they start at about the same spot?
I had a look at some of your photo's posted on other sites, looks like you are having fun and getting some nice shots. Thanks for posting.
shazcol
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Giuliano » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 10:42 pm

shazcol wrote:
Giuliano wrote:If anyone else has advice on getting from the ski village to Lake Youl I'd love to hear it as it was a real slog just above Rodway Valley with plants being so thick and water holes everywhere.

There are a couple of threads on this forum about Ben Lomond if you have a search and they may help. One option would be to come up from Storys Creek end and include Stacks Bluff, Story's or Sphinx. One route follows Storys Creek, the other comes out near Denison Crag. I think they start at about the same spot?
I had a look at some of your photo's posted on other sites, looks like you are having fun and getting some nice shots. Thanks for posting.

Cheers for the photo compliment. I will take your advice though and have a look more closely at these alternative routes as I am really keen to get a better look at this beautiful park. Take it easy.
Giuliano
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby shazcol » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 8:26 am

Here is a good starting point Giuliano
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=394&hilit=lomond
I'm pretty sure a couple of the day walk books describe the Storys Creek access as well.
shazcol
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Wed 04 Apr, 2012 11:48 pm

Wow! Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Gallery