Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).
Post a reply

Edit button disappearance

Wed 24 Jul, 2013 3:05 pm

Is it just me, or you can't edit your posts as well ? The problem occurred just now. Strange...

Re: Edit button disappearance

Wed 24 Jul, 2013 3:08 pm

testing

Wed 24 Jul, 2013 3:09 pm

correct

Wed 24 Jul, 2013 6:50 pm

+1

Wed 24 Jul, 2013 6:51 pm

Content removed by poster.

Wed 24 Jul, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Guys
Sorry people have lost ability to edit and delete posts, I made the change today. It is temporary. I hope to return back to full permissions soon (maybe a week or too). Nothing personal it effects every one.
So if there is any need to change a post please just report is and explain the edit you want and I can make the tweak in the back end.
Or just come back soon if it can wait. Sorry for the hassle. Any questions please let me know.
Matt :)

Wed 24 Jul, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks for being open about this Matt. Some of your other Moderators were not as forthcoming.

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 4:38 pm

Aghhh, I am the queen of typos.
I can spell
I can't type
The edit button is my good friend......

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 4:49 pm

Onestepmore wrote:Aghhh, I am the queen of typos.
I can spell
I can't type

dont you get the underlined words when you're composing words incorrectly?

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 5:16 pm

Proof read? The "Preview" works.

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 5:21 pm

click on the "full editor" button if you have clicked on "quick reply" to see the "preview" button

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 6:20 pm

wayno wrote:
Onestepmore wrote:Aghhh, I am the queen of typos.
I can spell
I can't type

dont you get the underlined words when you're composing words incorrectly?

In IE10 and Chrome, the words teh and tehir both underline for me.

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 9:34 pm

tasadam wrote:Proof read? The "Preview" works.

From previous embarrassments I always now hit the preview button so easy also helps if you are "in vino veritas" :lol:
corvus

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:48 pm

wildwalks wrote:Sorry people have lost ability to edit and delete posts, I made the change today. It is temporary. I hope to return back to full permissions soon (maybe a week or too). Nothing personal it effects every one.

It's back :D

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:53 pm

Weirdest thing to ever happen on this forum.

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:53 pm

Still can't edit.

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:54 pm

Chris wrote:It's back :D

or maybe not :oops: Maybe just for Market Square and Lost Property - it really is there!

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 10:59 am

Strider wrote:Weirdest thing to ever happen on this forum.

Not really, I suspect it is an attempt to catch out the passionate posters who post late at night and then in the early hours of the morning wish to change the post made in the heat of the moment.....

Therefore no more "CONTENT REMOVED BY POSTER" :twisted:

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 11:08 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Not really, I suspect it is an attempt to catch out the passionate posters who post late at night and then in the early hours of the morning wish to change the post made in the heat of the moment.....

One of those annoying behaviours on forums. However, many forums allow a grace period of a day or two before it gets locked. I think that's a good compromise.

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:07 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:
Strider wrote:Weirdest thing to ever happen on this forum.

Not really, I suspect it is an attempt to catch out the passionate posters who post late at night and then in the early hours of the morning wish to change the post made in the heat of the moment.....

I wonder if a time limit can be set for editing?

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:13 pm

Yep we have had a problem with people leaving posts that breach rules, once they are reported the posts get edited making it difficult to deal with the issue. I am glad to see people cleaning up their own posts and moderating themselves - but we need to be sure that the edit happens before the post has time to offend people. The change was not so much to "catch people out" but partly encourage more care in posting and to get a feel for the extent of the problem.

GPSGuided wrote:One of those annoying behaviours on forums. However, many forums allow a grace period of a day or two before it gets locked. I think that's a good compromise.

Good idea -- I agree. It gives people time to clean up their mistakes before it has a chance to offend.

OK so ability to edit should be back on now. I have added a grace period of 5 minutes after you post.
Very happy to hear thoughts on what is the ideal grace period. Before this change it was 60 days (which seems way to long to me)

Thanks again.

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:24 pm

5 minute grace period should be heaps!

*EDIT* YAY! :lol:

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:24 pm

5 minutes isn't nearly enough time for the booze to wear off...

EDIT it does work, some folk might need 24 hours :wink:

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:38 pm

wildwalks wrote:OK so ability to edit should be back on now. I have added a grace period of 5 minutes after you post.
Very happy to hear thoughts on what is the ideal grace period. Before this change it was 60 days (which seems way to long to me)

Thank you!

Personally, I think 5mins is a bit short, but no fixed rules and it may just work fine here. If forumites know about it, posting practices can change accordingly and be able to make good use of the 5mins. Although for editing of some of the longer posts or scrambling through many threads, 10-15min may be more functional. It's an admin call. Happy with whatever. :)

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:53 pm

Yeah 10 mins would be more suitable for me. Especially for long posts.

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 1:10 pm

There's an edit button?

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 1:48 pm

doogs wrote:There's an edit button?

And a preview button.
With preview, you shouldn't need edit.

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 2:13 pm

There's a preview button? :)