Avoiding people and snakes

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Avoiding people and snakes

Postby Dexter » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 11:13 am

Hope you are all enjoying some freedom and looking forward to getting out there again. I assume it's going to be busy and to some extent not really possible to dodge all the foot traffic. But just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a fairly easy overnighter. Looking to walk on the 6th / 7th of Nov as a bit of a warm up, having booked the GOW for early December. May squeeze another one in before the end of Nov as well.

Requirements would be a reasonable distance from Melb. 3 hours max. I find it difficult and a bit dangerous driving back home after walking that day, so I need to fit something in on the weekend. Not after anything too adventurous - around Grade 3 would be nice after months of being lazy. I was looking at Lerderderg, but seems snakes can be a plenty this time of year. I'm not afraid of them as such, but cautious, and rather not put myself and my friends at an unnecessary increased risk. I know they don't have gaiters either. The other option I looked at was Stirlings Gap to Ada Tree, staying at Ada 2 for the night. I've done that walk before though, and really liked it but it would be nice to try something new. Beeripmo the same deal, loved it but recently been. The prom will be all booked out, and has sections closed.

I know there's other similar threads on here. I have searched them but sometimes map images are no longer hosted, or sections might be closed etc. Would love to hear suggestions!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Avoiding people and snakes

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 11:38 am

I wouldn't worry about snakes, people are more dangerous and annoying...
Starlings to Ada 2 is a nice walk, but you've already done it.
The Burchall Trail in the Brisbane Ranges is a pretty easy walk I think, although probably a few snakes and the old trail bike rider.
https://www.trailhiking.com.au/the-burchell-trail/
Lorne waterfalls walk, but being on the GOR, might be full of day walkers, but they don't camp, so?
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/austral ... ls-circuit
Somewhere in the high country? Around back of Mt Buller/Mt Stirling? No wait, will be full of people...
This weekend will be full on, but the weekend of 6th/7th might be OK not being a long weekend.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby EGM » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 11:48 am

There are some good reasonably easy routes around Lorne. Sections are possibly grade 4 but nothing too bad. Could be snakey but they're not to be worried about. As long as you keep you're eyes peeled and have the appropriate bandages there's not much more you can do. I don't use gaiters in summer but I know many do.

I am planning on heading to the Brisbane ranges soon which is an option close to the city although I've never been there before.

Enjoy getting out and wherever you end up will be better than the house, that's for sure. We might even be heading bush Friday at 6, really itching to get out.

Edit: I was typing my reply before you posted bang and makes me think the areas we both suggested might be a bit busy seeing as we both suggested the same places haha.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 11:53 am

Baeng72 wrote:This weekend will be full on, but the weekend of 6th/7th might be OK not being a long weekend.

Yeah I'm just hoping for 'not as bad' at the moment. I'm happy to say g'day to walkers and share hike in camp areas with other like minded people. What I would love to avoid is car campers blasting music and riding around their dirt bikes. I'd be less worried about snakes if the girls had some decent gaiters.

Lorne waterfalls walk sounds great! but already starting the GOW early December. The Burchell Trail looks excellent too. I'll have to remember that one, and might be a good option with a bit more time. Work is nuts right now so I have to cram a walk into a weekend - three days wouldn't be doable without some leave organised. Ada Tree will be the go-to if we can't find anything else. It was a stunning walk even with the state of the track and leeches!

EGM wrote:I am planning on heading to the Brisbane ranges soon which is an option close to the city although I've never been there before.

Enjoy getting out and wherever you end up will be better than the house, that's for sure. We might even be heading bush Friday at 6, really itching to get out.

Brisbane ranges do look appealing. I'll see if there's a two day option. And absolutely agree, super keen to get out into some nature. I did a day walk at point Nepean on the weekend and even in the rain I was so much happier.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 12:01 pm

Dexter wrote:The Burchell Trail looks excellent too. I'll have to remember that one, and might be a good option with a bit more time. Work is nuts right now so I have to cram a walk into a weekend - three days wouldn't be doable without some leave organised.

There's no rule that says you have to walk from Stieglitz to Boar Gully (or the reverse). You can park at Stiegliz court house or somewhere closer and walk in to the camp, and walk back out the next day. I think there are various tracks so you don't have to follow the same trail on return. I'll need to get the map, but I believe you can do a short cut to the camp or a more meandering trail, so do that first day, and short out second? Or walk in from Boar Gully to a camp?
Anyway, Starlings to Ada 2 is good if nothing else fits.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 12:23 pm

There's obviously something not quite right with me where I see 'Three day walk' and don't consider I have other options haha.

I'll start checking out some maps, cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 12:25 pm

Double post. :(
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 12:38 pm

4WD traffic will BE intense in the Buller/Howitt map area. Try to find somewhere that is not overwhelmed with stir crazy people. Mt. Clear comes to mind as a nice remote place but it is more than 4 hours away from Melb. via Mansfield and the hiking routes up there take time which is what is good about Bushwalking : Taking your time esp. after having almost 2 years of being stuck at home .... why hurry now?
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Mon 25 Oct, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Dexter » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 1:21 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:4WD traffic will intense in the Buller/Howitt map area. Try to find somewhere that is not overwhelmed with stir crazy people. Mt. Clear comes to mind as a nice remote place but it is more than 4 hours away from Melb. via Mansfield and the hiking routes up there take time which is what is good about Bushwalking : Taking your time esp. after having almost 2 years of being stuck at home .... why hurry now?

If I could get some extra time off work I would love to take my time and do a longer walk (preferably also not on a weekend). That's exactly what I've booked for, and doing early Dec. Just need to get the legs moving again and do a couple of smaller walks beforehand.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 2:21 pm

You could drive up on Friday night and crash out somewhere in your tent nearby i.e Buckland Valley area and then do the Mt McLeod Hike at the Northern section of Mt. Buffalo.
Water would be flowing up there just before the campsite area and it is a nice one nighter. You'd be back at the car by 1400 if you get moving by 0800 on Sunday.
The reservoir road would be open too so you can drive into the picnic area and park there.

The same sort of idea could be applied to the Baw Baw Village to Mt.Whitelaw hut ruins. The East Tyers campsite on the AAWT is located just off the South Face road for a Friday night camp . So with that plan and an early start on Sat. you can hike from the BB ski village to the hut ruins and camp there . I will be doing something like that soon plus the AAWT down to Stronarch's camp also could be used as a second night.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Mon 25 Oct, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 2:27 pm

We were only just talking about leaving Friday night. Thanks for that! I'll jot it down and do some map checking. Cheers!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 4:02 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:4WD traffic will BE intense in the Buller/Howitt map area. .... why hurry now?

The reason I can think of doing this area in the next month is water around and no intense sun. But yeah, the crowds will suck.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 4:11 pm

I will be walking from Brock's Road where the winter gate is situated , up to King Billy Saddle and over to Mac. Springs via King Billy track and return via Hell's window, Lovick's hut and Cairn Creek track, as a fact finding mission for winter access for XC ski touring. If it is doable then I will go back in Autumn and do a supply drop at Mac. Springs via Licola and the Howitt road.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Mon 25 Oct, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 4:54 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I will be walking from Brock's Road where the winter gate is situated , up to King Billy Saddle and over to Mac. Springs via King Billy track and return via Hell's window, Lovick's hut and Cairn Creek track. as a fact finding mission for winter access for XC ski touring. If it is doable then I will go back in Autumn and do a supply drop at Mac. Springs via Licola and the Howitt road.

Nice! I was looking into a similar walk for October, then lockdown hit. It wasn't feasible for me, as I don't have 4WD, just a softroader with high clearance.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 6:13 pm

Beeripmo.

Leave Melbourne early Saturday morning, drive up, easy walk to the campsite (with a couple of hills to get the lungs working).
Back to the car Sunday morning then home by mid-afternoon Sunday.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Dexter » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 7:18 pm

Yeah Beeripmo is a great walk, but did it not long ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 9:10 pm

If you enjoyed Beeripmo you could repeat it starting from Middle Creek camp. Head straight up to join the normal route then, on the second day, return by Sugarloaf Circuit passing Ferntree falls. Shorter but wilder tracks.
CraigVIC

Postby EGM » Mon 25 Oct, 2021 10:07 pm

CraigVIC wrote:If you enjoyed Beeripmo you could repeat it starting from Middle Creek camp. Head straight up to join the normal route then, on the second day, return by Sugarloaf Circuit passing Ferntree falls. Shorter but wilder tracks.

What are approx distances for that walk?
It's an easy drive there from west Melbourne so a new route would be great.

There are some good looking spots in the park for wild camping too.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 26 Oct, 2021 8:02 am

That sounds like a cool adventure, Craig! I really need to collect some maps so I can figure out these little nuggets of gold.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 26 Oct, 2021 9:29 am

The Bundara Wilderness and Young's Top in the Southern area of the BHP will not be busy like Tidal River. Keep that in mind if you are looking at an Alpine hike that requires sound navigational skills. I am keen to get back out there this green season .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 26 Oct, 2021 10:51 am

Egm, dexter, you can see my trip report. 2nd post here
https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29667

A wild camp sounds spot on given it will be busy.
CraigVIC

Postby Dexter » Tue 26 Oct, 2021 10:58 am

CraigVIC wrote:Egm, dexter, you can see my trip report. 2nd post here
https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29667

A wild camp sounds spot on given it will be busy.

Fantastic! That helps, cheers! I'm going to be coming back to this thread for a while I think. Some awesome ideas.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Tue 26 Oct, 2021 11:55 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I will be walking from Brock's Road where the winter gate is situated , up to King Billy Saddle and over to Mac. Springs via King Billy track and return via Hell's window, Lovick's hut and Cairn Creek track, as a fact finding mission for winter access for XC ski touring. If it is doable then I will go back in Autumn and do a supply drop at Mac. Springs via Licola and the Howitt road.

Good plan to give you some winter solitude. Accessing Mac Springs as per your plan should be more doable than legging (or skiing) it over the Howitt Plains. How practicable it is in reality will be better judged after your recce.

Nice bit of thinking outside the square. :)
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria