Overland Track - Big Things

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Overland Track - Big Things

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 12:48 am

Taken during a recent 8-day south-north OLT trip during the uni break :)

Shot with the Panasonic GH2, Panasonic 7-14 ASPH, Voigtlander 25/f0.95 and Olympus m.ZD 40-150.

Erica on top of Paddy's Nut

West from Paddy's Nut

Start of the Pelion East track

Mt Gould

The Grotto

Will, Paddy's Nut

Ossa peaking through the clouds

The Minotaur

Icy reflections in Pine Valley

Cephissus Creek
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Overland Track - Big Things

Postby Blister » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 4:40 am

Awesome set of shots, especially like the 1st one.
Blister
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stepbystep » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 9:07 am

Beautiful, thanks for sharing Nick. Even sneaked a broken spectre in!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Phil » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 10:28 am

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing, loved the pics...........just wets the appetite to get back out there again!!
Phil
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks people! I've gotta say, going up Paddy's Nut has got me super keen to try the Pelion Circuit this year :)

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stibb » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 6:02 pm

Love the pictures! I like your camera choice too. I want one :D Are you happy with it?
I'm waiting for a fast panny (so the auto focus will work) 12-150-ish zoom before I buy (and a bit of cash :( )
Stibb

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 8:33 pm

Stibb wrote:Love the pictures! I like your camera choice too. I want one :D Are you happy with it?
I'm waiting for a fast panny (so the auto focus will work) 12-150-ish zoom before I buy (and a bit of cash :( )

Very happy with it, although bare in mind that there are still colour-caste problems with RAW if you're an Aperture 3 user (this is an Apple problem, rather than a Panasonic problem). I've used it with some of the better m43 lenses (7-14/f4, 20/f1.7, 25/f0.95)) and the combination of optical and sensor quality is great :) If you don't plan on shooting video much I'd possibly consider the new G3 instead. It's quite a bit cheaper and you lose very little in stills ability.

Check out my flickr set for the GH2 if you want to have a look at some examples (keep in mind the odd colours in some photos are the result of the Aperture problem mentioned above) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickthetas ... 626048674/

Do you mean a fast 12-50, rather than a 12-150? I wouldn't expect anything faster than the existing (and very good) 14-140 for a zoom of that range... Not sure what you meant about focus - the AF of the all the Panasonic lenses I own (except the 20/f1.7) is very fast on the GH2.

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stibb » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 9:22 pm

nickthetasmaniac wrote: if you're an Aperture 3 user

ACDSee pro for Mac. I really like Lightroom better except I want a browser and don't like the way LR and aperture handles files. And I'm a compact user (TZ10 now)since many years back so no RAW. Will probably use RAW when I upgrade. And I need to improve my techniques. I used to have an SLR way back when. Miss the dynamic range of film. Love everything else with digital though and m43/DSLR obviously also have better dynamic range than any compact. Not sure how they rate compared to the old film.

nickthetasmaniac wrote: If you don't plan on shooting video much I'd possibly consider the new G3 instead

Perhaps but I don't like how they made it so tiny. I like the form factor of GH2. More buttons and dials. Feels more like a real camera :)

nickthetasmaniac wrote: Do you mean a fast 12-50, rather than a 12-150? I wouldn't expect anything faster than the existing (and very good) 14-140 for a zoom of that range... Not sure what you meant about focus - the AF of the all the Panasonic lenses I own (except the 20/f1.7) is very fast on the GH2.

No I mean 12-150/2.8 :mrgreen: Yeah I know dream on. It will most likely be the 14-140 for me but just wanted a tad faster and wider.
Regarding auto focus...If I'm not mistaken it has to be a Panasonic lens for autofocus to work so it wont help if eg Olympus comes out with my desired lens.

I've already had a look at your other pics. Want an upgrade even more :wink:
Stibb

Postby Greenie » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 9:29 pm

Video from a GH13 (A GH1 patched?) http://vimeo.com/22868761 from a friend of a friend. On the overland
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 9:37 pm

Stibb wrote:If I'm not mistaken it has to be a Panasonic lens for autofocus to work so it wont help if eg Olympus comes out with my desired lens.

Not true! I frequently use the Olympus m.ZD 40-150 and have tried the m.ZD 14-42 MkII on the GH2 and both AF perfectly - I think they actually focus quicker on the GH2 than on the EPL2 they came with.

Stibb wrote:No I mean 12-150/2.8 :mrgreen: Yeah I know dream on. It will most likely be the 14-140 for me but just wanted a tad faster and wider.

Yeah not going to happen :) 14mm (28mm equivalent) wide-angle and f3.5-5.6ish seem the industry standard for super-zooms. I can't see that changing any time soon, and especially not if you want to pay less than $1000... Panasonic is expected to release a fast 12-50mm (f2.5-3.3) this year though.

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stibb » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 10:37 pm

nickthetasmaniac wrote:Not true! I frequently use the Olympus m.ZD 40-150 and have tried the m.ZD 14-42 MkII on the GH2 and both AF perfectly - I think they actually focus quicker on the GH2 than on the EPL2 they came with.

Oh, interesting! Didn't know that :D

nickthetasmaniac wrote:Yeah not going to happen :)

I know :(
Great system though and I'm excited about it.
Stibb

Return to Gallery