This track starts near the Kalorama CFA on Ridge Road, Kalorama, leading to Sassafras via the Kyeema Track. The Kyeema Track is named after the Australian National Airways plane that crashed into Mt. Dandenong on October 25, 1938. Embark on this quiet and peaceful walk that leads you through the Dandenong Ranges, between tall mountain ash, gum trees and gullies of tree ferns, presenting spectacular views of the surrounding landscape throughout. Along the way, you'll find Bourke's Lookout, which provides a panoramic view across metropolitan Melbourne. Some parts of the walk are challenging, with a lot of steep inclines and declines on mostly gravel tracks. Let us begin by acknowledging the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we travel today, and pay our respects to their Elders past and present.
Before you start any bushwalk ensure you;
• Tell someone you trust where you are going and what to do if you are overdue
• Have adequate equipment, supplies, skills & knowledge for the whole journey
• Consider the impact of weather forecasts, park/track closures & fire dangers
• Can respond to emergencies & call for help at any point
• Are healthy and fit enough for this journey
If not, change plans and stay safe. It is okay to delay and ask people for help.