Starting from the car park at the end of Hartz Road, Hartz Mountains National Park, this walk leads to Lake Esperance and back via the Hartz Peak Track. Lake Esperance is one of several glacial lakes on the plateau-like upper parts of the Hartz Mountains. As the track gains height, views extend across parts of southeast coastal Tasmania. At a track junction, there is the option of continuing to Ladies Tarn or Hartz Peak, visible ahead or turning right for the short distance remaining to Lake Esperance. Upon reaching the lake, there’s a viewing area with seats where you can contemplate the view. Let us begin by acknowledging the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we travel today, and pay our respects to their Elders past and present.
Before you start any bushwalk ensure you;
• Tell someone you trust where you are going and what to do if you are overdue
• Have adequate equipment, supplies, skills & knowledge for the whole journey
• Consider the impact of weather forecasts, park/track closures & fire dangers
• Can respond to emergencies & call for help at any point
• Are healthy and fit enough for this journey
If not, change plans and stay safe. It is okay to delay and ask people for help.