Walls of Jerusalem

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Walls of Jerusalem

Postby ClockworkLemon » Fri 02 Jan, 2009 7:32 pm

I've just spent the last 3 days waling in the Walls of Jerusalem, and I've finally achieved something that I've wanted to do for quite a few years now, which is to be able to walk up there while there's some snow on the ground. We walked in on Wednesday morning, in overcast weather, and set up camp in a nice sheltered spot that I know.

Thursday morning came, and it was still overcast, but there was no sign of the snow that had started the night before, so we decided to head up Solomon's Throne, despite the low cloud that was obscuring the peaks. This is the view we had of King David's peak as we started out:

Solomon's throne looked just as bad. It's in there somewhere, I'm sure... :lol:

Still, we decided to continue to the top anyway, in case there was a miraculous break in the weather. Of course, there wasn't, so I quickly grabbed a few shots from the top, before we headed down out of the wind and snow.

The Temple and Mt Jerusalem:

Looking towards Lake Salome and Herod's Gate:

We didn't do much during the afternoon, as the snow didn't let up at all during the day, except for a few very short breaks. This morning we were greeted to the sight of the ground covered with 5-10cm of snow, and it made for a very beautiful view, whichever way you looked.

Mt Jerusalem, just showing over Gate of the Chain:

The West Wall:

King David's Peak:
ClockworkLemon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Walls of Jerusalem

Postby flyfisher » Fri 02 Jan, 2009 9:12 pm

Great report and pics CL.Thanks for posting. :D
I have been to the walls a few times but only in really nice (but cold -in may) weather so it's nice to see them with a good dusting of snow.
This is the very point a few forumites have pushed in other posts- that our weather in the mountains can only be trusted to do its worst for you at times-even in summer.

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Re: Walls of Jerusalem

Postby tasadam » Mon 05 Jan, 2009 7:42 pm

Great stuff!
My first trip there was early 90's, a winter walk, didn't make it to Wild Dog Creek because of the impassable snow.
Gotta love snow in summer, well done!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Gallery