Snowy Mountains in December

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Snowy Mountains in December

Postby Ephebus » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 8:39 pm

Here are some pictures from the mainland from a walk I did last week in the Jagungal Wilderness in the Snowy Mountains. I haven't had really any experience with SLR cameras before so it was a good learning experience, although heavy to carry.

On the way past the east side of Jagungal towards the head of the Geehi River
DSC_1679.jpg

DSC_1688s.jpg

DSC_1695s.jpg
You'll never walk alone
Ephebus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Snowy Mountains in December

Postby Ephebus » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 8:43 pm

Sunset at the Geehi
DSC_1702s.jpg

The main range from near the Geehi
DSC_1722s.jpg

Valentines Falls looking full for this time of year
DSC_1758s.jpg
You'll never walk alone
Ephebus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ephebus » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 8:50 pm

DSC_1779s.jpg

Mt Jagungal
DSC_1819s.jpg

Sunset at Dershkos Hut (took the photos a little late as a lot of the colour had gone)
DSC_1971s.jpg
You'll never walk alone
Ephebus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ephebus » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 8:52 pm

DSC_1982s.jpg
You'll never walk alone
Ephebus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tony » Sun 07 Dec, 2008 11:07 am

Hi Ephibus,

Thanks for posting the pics.

I am heading toward Valentines Falls, Geehi River in two weeks time. beautifull area.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Ephebus » Sun 07 Dec, 2008 5:35 pm

Indeed it is. The rivers were particularly full this year thanks to a late snow season, especially the falls and the Tooma river. There were still snow in pockets around the head of the Geehi and on the eastern and northern face of Jagungal which is something I had not seen before. Have you planned much for your walk?

We walked from Round Mountain past Round Mountain Hut down the Farm Ridge Fire trail past O'Keefes (which is well on its way to being rebuilt) up along the Toolong Range past east of Jagungal to camp at the fork at the head of the Geehi. We then pushed on to the pool near Tarn Bluff then up to Mawsons Hut before going to Valentine Hut and Valentine Falls. We then walked along Back Flat creek to Grey Mare Hut where we stayed the night before climbing Jagungal and staying at Dershkos Hut. We then walked out along Round Mountain fire trail to where our cars were parked. It took us about 3 and a half days though having an extra day would have been nice so we could go more slowly. It would also be nice to spend a night at Valentine Hut. This is the third time I have visited it without staying there for any longer than to have lunch.

Round Mountain Hut
DSC_1662s.jpg

Mt Jagungal with Snow on it and a lot of precarious looking clouds which intermittently hit us with hail.
DSC_1668s.jpg

O'Keefes Hut mid rebuild. They don't seem to worried about people taking stuff. Although I suppose it wouldn't exactly be Ultra light weight bushwalking for those that did.
DSC_1672s.jpg
You'll never walk alone
Ephebus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tony » Wed 10 Dec, 2008 10:54 am

Hi Ephebus,

Thanks for the trip report.

Indeed it is. The rivers were particularly full this year thanks to a late snow season, especially the falls and the Tooma river. There were still snow in pockets around the head of the Geehi and on the eastern and northern face of Jagungal which is something I had not seen before. Have you planned much for your walk?

We are planning on 3 day fly fishing on the Geehi below Valentines Falls, we are deciding whether to come in via Round Mountain or by Munyang Power Station, the distances turn out to be similar.

I stayed at O'keefes just before it burnt down, it was very basic and had some resident wildlife, we slept in tents outside, the new hut looks very nice. Valentines hut is a great hut to stay in, very cosy, the old toilet has a great view view.

Tony

Valentines Hut just after a fresh coat of paint after the 2003 fires
The view from the old toilet behind Valentines Hut.
Under a tarp at Grey Mare Hut, one of the best nights I have ever spent in the bush
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby rcaffin » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 7:50 pm

Mt Jagungal, March 2008.
Summit was covered in cloud as we went up. It was not exactly fine weather. But we were enjoying it.
5168S.jpg
Mt Jagungal summit cairn
5168S.jpg (46.22 KiB) Viewed 6982 times

The amusing thing was that my wife never actually got to 'touch' the cairn: it was sheathed in ice.
Ah yes - we were both going UL, and I was wearing my KTs.

Cheers
roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Gallery