So where are the entries for the Australia-wide Photo Comp?

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

So where are the entries for the Australia-wide Photo Comp?

Postby johnw » Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:40 pm

See this post http://www.bushwalkaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1632&p=14788#p14788
C'mon mainlanders, surely we can manage at least 3 photos between us by the 19th February :? .
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: So where are the entries for the Australia-wide Photo Co

Postby johnw » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 8:32 pm

johnw wrote:See this post http://www.bushwalkaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1632&p=14788#p14788
C'mon mainlanders, surely we can manage at least 3 photos between us by the 19th February :? .

Correction to title - now reads Australia-wide rather than non-Tasmanian (I think Tassie photos are still eligible?)
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 17 Feb, 2009 7:47 am

johnw wrote:
johnw wrote:See this post http://www.bushwalkaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1632&p=14788#p14788

Correction to title - now reads Australia-wide rather than non-Tasmanian (I think Tassie photos are still eligible?)

yes... good point. Tassie photos are still eligible. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby james cav » Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:56 am

Sorry, I am heading to the western Arthur's in April so thats me out for this year. Maybe next. I really was hoping to make it.
james cav
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Tue 17 Feb, 2009 12:11 pm

james cav wrote:Sorry, I am heading to the western Arthur's in April so thats me out for this year. Maybe next. I really was hoping to make it.

James you still have plenty of opportunities to enter, as both Tassie and Aus-wide comps are monthly (hopefully). For the current Australia-wide comp you can enter a photo right now from anywhere in Australia that you took in January, be it mainland, Tassie or any other qualifying location.

And a photo from your prospective Western Arthurs trip could be entered in one or the other for April. :)

See http://www.bushwalkaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1632&p=14788#p13493
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby james cav » Wed 18 Feb, 2009 2:21 am

It has taken me till 2:30 am the next day to realize what i just saw posted in reply. Thanks. Gotta love night shift for random ponderings of things you stuffed up the day before :? . I havent any photos for january however I will try to get some decent pics on the heysen trail over the next couple of weeks. what month would they then go into? Cheers.
james cav
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 18 Feb, 2009 8:03 am

james cav wrote:It has taken me till 2:30 am the next day to realize what i just saw posted in reply. Thanks. Gotta love night shift for random ponderings of things you stuffed up the day before :? . I havent any photos for january however I will try to get some decent pics on the heysen trail over the next couple of weeks. what month would they then go into? Cheers.

They go into the competition for the month they were taken. The competitions for any particular month run from the 20th of that month to the 19th of the following month, but the photos must have been taken in the month of the competition (and must include EXIF data to prove it, or have some other proof emailed to the competition admin - ie, me).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 18 Feb, 2009 11:14 am

Only 1 more photo needed for this competition to avoid a roll-over.

And only 1 day left to submit.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:45 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Only 1 more photo needed for this competition to avoid a roll-over.

And only 1 day left to submit.

Surely someone must have a photo, anyone...?
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby james cav » Thu 19 Feb, 2009 7:51 am

Sorry to be a nub but what is a EXIF and how do I set the camera for one that will transfer with the file? I think holding up the days newspaper might ruin and potential photo.hehehe :)
james cav
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 19 Feb, 2009 8:30 am

james cav wrote:Sorry to be a nub but what is a EXIF and how do I set the camera for one that will transfer with the file? I think holding up the days newspaper might ruin and potential photo.hehehe :)

Short answer: Google 'exif'. :-)

Slightly longer answer: EXIF is data about an image (eg, date, time, location, camera settings, did flash fire) that can be embedded into the file the image is stored in. All digital cameras (as far as I know) embed EXIF data, including the date the photo was taken, into the image file if using a compatible file type. JPEGs (which most cameras us by default) are EXIF compatible, and if you camera uses JPEGs the chances are that it is storing EXIF data in the files.

Many image viewing applications will allow you to view the EXIF data. Search Google for further information.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Thu 19 Feb, 2009 10:06 pm

Don't forget, you've still got until midnight to enter. Then we all turn into pumpkins.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 7:46 am

Well, surprise! We're not going to turn into pumpkins this month (phew!). I was really pushing for a fourth photo, but we did in fact get 3, which is the number I'd set as the minimum, so we'll have a poll for the first Australia-wide monthly competition posted shortly. :-)

Well done guys, and don't forget that it's now time to start posting your February photos.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Gallery