Mt Jagungal northern face walk 2009

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Mt Jagungal northern face walk 2009

Postby Tony » Fri 22 May, 2009 9:35 am

Last weekend along with my regular walking mate we did a great little walk up the northern face of Mt Jagungal (2061m) in the Jagungal Wilderness Area Kosciuszko National Park. Mt Jagungal is the highest peak outside of the Main Range and the adjacent Mt Gungartan.

We arrived at the Round Mountain car park at about 7 pm Friday Night after a very wet, windy and foggy drive from Canberra, it was raining so we put our wet weather gear on for the one and a half kilometer walk to the Round Mountain hut, where we planned to spend the night, Dave got the hut fire going while I cooked the rice and heated up the curry and cracked the bottle of wine, We had a very pleasant evening sitting around the fire while it rained heavily and gale force winds blew outside. The hut has some bunks that are attached to the frame and during the night we where woken up several times by roaring gale force winds, one gust shook us quite violently in our bunks, we had originally planned to sleep in our tents but I recon if I we had we would have ended up being blown off the side of Round Mountain.

Saturday morning, Dave filling the log book at Round Mountain Hut just before we set off to Mt Jagungal

Crossing a icy cold swollen Tumut River, it was also raining at the time which did not help us in trying to stay dry

Looking back to the Tumut river from the Farmyard Ridge Trail, that is snow in the background

On top of the ridges we where covered in thick fog so not much was to be had with views, after a about 4 hours of easy walking we made it to the newly rebuilt O'Keefes hut, O'Keefes hut had burnt down it the January 2003 bushfires, we had lunch and then emptied our packs in preparation for the walk up the Northern side of Mt Jagungal. Mt Jagungal was still covered in fog but as we have both been up the top in good weather we decided to go up anyway if anything just for the experience. We had not been up the northern side before and being in thick fog we where doing it a bit blind, the way we went had a lot of boulders and some rock climbing.

Dave climbing up a steep face, after trying we decided that in the wet conditions not pursue this route any further, and easier way was just around the corner.

Me on top of Mt Jagungal, note the great view or lack of it.

We descended via the easier south western route and this is a view of Mt Jagungal peak from just below

This is the view from Mt Jagungal just below the cloud cover looking west

The newly rebuilt O'Keefes Hut

The fire place at O'Keefes, and comfortable chairs (no we did not bring the chairs in) the hut has been lined with some old news papers from the 1930's that have been donated to the hut, it gave us some very interesting reading, but unfortunately some are getting damaged and vandalized already.

My sleeping bag on the floor in the bedroom

On Sunday we woke to a beautiful sunny day but unfortunately we had to go back, this is the view of Mt Jagungal from north on the Grey Mare Trail, the water in the foreground was frozen solid, we walked back the way we came via farmyard Ridge and Tumut River.

Even though we did not have great views all of the time it was a great relaxing and very enjoyable walk.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Mt Jagungal northern face walk 2009

Postby Mickeymoo » Fri 22 May, 2009 11:08 am

Great photos Tony, certainly looks like a very nice place to have a relaxed walk (despite the weather).

Michael.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Fri 22 May, 2009 6:58 pm

When did they rebuild O'Keefe's? Last time I was up that way there wasn't even talk of it . . . come to think of it, last couple of times I was up that way I went cross-country via Farm Ridge so I wouldn't even have noticed, but I thought the authorities were dead-set against the rebuilding of any of the huts in the Wilderness areas.
I wonder if this means that Happy's might be rebuilt? That I wouldn't mind . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Ephebus » Fri 22 May, 2009 10:08 pm

Sounds like a great walk Tony. Crossing an "icy cold swollen Tumut River" is a feeling I'm all too familiar with. However, you do quickly warm up on the subsequent uphill. It's good to see O'Keefes finished. I've been hanging out to see photos of it since I saw it half built in December, but the Huts website had not updated. Is it completely finished now? Does it have bunks inside?

scavenger wrote:I thought the authorities were dead-set against the rebuilding of any of the huts in the Wilderness areas.
I wonder if this means that Happy's might be rebuilt? That I wouldn't mind . . .

From what I have read the authorities don't seem to mind rebuilding if the site is of particular historical significant or has significant values as a shelter such as O'Keefes due to its proximity to Jagungal and the number of people that cross country ski in the area in Winter. I thought Happy's was still there (the KHA site says it's still there, although the site isn't regularly updated. Do you mean Happy Jacks Plain Hut) but I believe Pretty Plain Hut is due to be rebuilt soon as well? Which I would love to visit in a trip last also encompasses staying at Wheeler's Hut.
You'll never walk alone
Ephebus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tony » Sat 23 May, 2009 6:52 am

Hi Mickymoo, scavenger and Ephibus,

It was a very enjoyable walk.

Ephebus wrote:Sounds like a great walk Tony. Crossing an "icy cold swollen Tumut River" is a feeling I'm all too familiar with. However, you do quickly warm up on the subsequent uphill. It's good to see O'Keefes finished. I've been hanging out to see photos of it since I saw it half built in December, but the Huts website had not updated. Is it completely finished now? Does it have bunks inside?

scavenger wrote:I thought the authorities were dead-set against the rebuilding of any of the huts in the Wilderness areas.

From what I have read the authorities don't seem to mind rebuilding if the site is of particular historical significant or has significant values as a shelter such as O'Keefes due to its proximity to Jagungal and the number of people that cross country ski in the area in Winter. I thought Happy's was still there (the KHA site says it's still there, although the site isn't regularly updated. Do you mean Happy Jacks Plain Hut) but I believe Pretty Plain Hut is due to be rebuilt soon as well? Which I would love to visit in a trip last also encompasses staying at Wheeler's Hut.

O'keefes hut was opened on the 28th of March, on the way back to the car we bumped into a local historian from Coryong who we had a good chat with, he told us that as well as O'Keefes being completed, BooBee hut had just been finished and they are to start on Pretty Plain Hut next summer, the problem with Pretty Plain Hut is what size are they going to rebuild it to, I gather the old hut was quite large and there is some debate to save money should they build Pretty Plain Hut to a smaller size.

The new O’keefes Hut was not built in the same location as the old O’Keefes Hut as they wanted to leave the original foundations but other rebuilt huts have been placed in their original positions and it is hard to workout their logic.

I have not been to the new Broken Dam Hut yet, I am hoping to ski or snow shoe into it this winter.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby climberman » Sat 23 May, 2009 9:59 am

Great report tony. The Tumut looks highly packraftable at that height !
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sun 24 May, 2009 5:19 pm

Ephebus wrote: I thought Happy's was still there (the KHA site says it's still there, although the site isn't regularly updated. Do you mean Happy Jacks Plain Hut)

Nope, Happy's was burnt out the same time as BooBee, according to all the LogBook entries. Nothing all the way from Kiandra/Mt Selwyn to Mackey's. I mean the one about 2km west of the AAWT, named as 'Happy's Hut' on the Old Adaminaby 1:25,000 CMA map, in the North-eastern corner of Happy Jack's Plain, between two of the upper feeders of the creek.
This is purely hearsay, mind, because I've never tried to get out to it, but there's no hut visible from anywhere on or near the track, and there are plenty of Log entries at Mackey's and elsewhere bemoaning the loss of the hut.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ephebus » Mon 25 May, 2009 5:57 pm

scavenger wrote:
Ephebus wrote: I thought Happy's was still there (the KHA site says it's still there, although the site isn't regularly updated. Do you mean Happy Jacks Plain Hut)

Nope, Happy's was burnt out the same time as BooBee, according to all the LogBook entries. Nothing all the way from Kiandra/Mt Selwyn to Mackey's. I mean the one about 2km west of the AAWT, named as 'Happy's Hut' on the Old Adaminaby 1:25,000 CMA map, in the North-eastern corner of Happy Jack's Plain, between two of the upper feeders of the creek.
This is purely hearsay, mind, because I've never tried to get out to it, but there's no hut visible from anywhere on or near the track, and there are plenty of Log entries at Mackey's and elsewhere bemoaning the loss of the hut.

Although I have not been there either, I do know that "Happy's Hut" (as referred to by KHA - which also sounds lke the one you described) wasn't burnt in the '03 fires which was when BooBee went down (although Happy Jack's was). Perhaps some people in the log book got the names slightly mixed up. If you have a look at this link it shows huts in the area that got burnt in '03. Also, there are number of photos and trip reports from people who have done the AAWT that have passed the hut at least as late as 2005. So if it has been burnt down it would have to be some time after that.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resou ... utsMap.pdf
You'll never walk alone
Ephebus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Mt Jagungal northern face walk 2009 (Daves Pics)

Postby Tony » Wed 27 May, 2009 8:43 am

This is a selection of Daves pics from the Mt Jagungal walk.

Me crossing the Tumut, Golite Pinnacle Pack and Keen shoes

A page from a news paper The Truth Sunday February 16th 1936 (O'keefes Hut)

Me Climbing the northern face of Mt Jagungal

Sun rays shinning through the clouds looking down from side of Mt Jagungal

Grey Mare Fire Trail with Mt Jagungal in the distance

Looking toward Mt Jagungal from Farmyard Ridge Trail

Me walking down toward the Tumut River via Farmyard Ridge trail
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 27 May, 2009 7:46 pm

Ephebus wrote:Although I have not been there either, I do know that "Happy's Hut" (as referred to by KHA - which also sounds lke the one you described) wasn't burnt in the '03 fires which was when BooBee went down (although Happy Jack's was). Perhaps some people in the log book got the names slightly mixed up. If you have a look at this link it shows huts in the area that got burnt in '03. Also, there are number of photos and trip reports from people who have done the AAWT that have passed the hut at least as late as 2005. So if it has been burnt down it would have to be some time after that.

May have gone in a later fire, then. The log entries I refer to were made in 2007/08. When was the last lot of fires to go through that area?
I didn't know there was another hut with a similar name. I don't generally bother with the Kosciuszko huts except Grey Mare, which I plan to move into when I retire - unless I get back to Tassie.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Gallery