Dehydrated greengage plums

Food topics, including recipes.

Dehydrated greengage plums

Postby Jaxter » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 3:30 pm

For any of you with access to a dehydrator and an abundance of greengage plums, dehydrated greengages are the most amazing snack. They're beautifully sweet and I think the flavour is only improved by dehydrating.

Pick them when they're fully ripe/soft, cut them in half, remove the stone and then cut them into slices no wider than 1cm. Put them in the dehydrator and turn the slices over after 4 hrs or so. They take quite a long time to dry (8+hrs) as they're full of liquid, but its worth it - just like chewy lollies!
Jaxter
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Dehydrated greengage plums

Postby Strider » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 3:54 pm

Jaxter wrote:For any of you with access to a dehydrator and an abundance of greengage plums, dehydrated greengages are the most amazing snack. They're beautifully sweet and I think the flavour is only improved by dehydrating.

Pick them when they're fully ripe/soft, cut them in half, remove the stone and then cut them into slices no wider than 1cm. Put them in the dehydrator and turn the slices over after 4 hrs or so. They take quite a long time to dry (8+hrs) as they're full of liquid, but its worth it - just like chewy lollies!

You beauty!

I have an abundance of plum trees AND a dehydrator. Going to try this for sure!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Liamy77 » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 11:33 pm

like he said...
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics
Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Fri 10 Feb, 2012 10:54 pm

Do you know it's almost impossible to get greengages on the mainland? It's one of the things I most miss about Tassie - Greengages and Goldendrop Plums.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby walkinTas » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 3:10 am

north-north-west wrote:Do you know it's almost impossible to get greengages on the mainland?
They are pretty hard to get in Tassie too unless you know someone who has a tree. :) Someone who has his very own tree. :D Someone who has lots of greengages on his very own tree. :lol:
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chris » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 11:32 pm

We shouldn't gloat WiTas, it's not fair :wink:
But it has been a fantastic year for greengages - we're up to about 44 Kg so far.
So far I've eaten far too many, cooked and frozen, made jam (traditional and microwave), dehydrated and given lots away.
Sadly the local nursing home couldn't accept any - idiotic over-zealous regulations - don't know what they were going to catch from such a low risk food :evil:
My legs are aching from standing at the sink working on them - not sure it's the ideal prep for walking, but it's a good investment in pain for future eating pleasure.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 7:06 pm

walkinTas wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Do you know it's almost impossible to get greengages on the mainland?
They are pretty hard to get in Tassie too unless you know someone who has a tree. :) Someone who has his very own tree. :D Someone who has lots of greengages on his very own tree. :lol:

I'm going to be down there Thursday. I may raid your backyard.

We had a small orchard sharing the vegie garden ground at Claremont. Greengages, Golden Drop Plums, Cherries, Pears, Nectarines, Apricots . . . and the whole thing was bordered by a thick row of currant bushes . . . *sigh*
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:07 pm

grrr... the greengages all got ripe and picked while I was out bush. Can't have everything, I suppose.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Lady McGuyver » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 1:20 pm

walkinTas wrote:
They are pretty hard to get in Tassie too unless you know someone who has a tree. :) Someone who has his very own tree. :D Someone who has lots of greengages on his her very own trees. :lol:

:wink: Mmm that would be me. . . 8)
Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends
Lady McGuyver
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker