Samsung Xcover5 as a GPS nav device

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Samsung Xcover5 as a GPS nav device

Postby dnaylor » Sat 20 Jul, 2024 2:57 am

didn't think this quite fitted a review so i put it here..
Anyway, ive been a fan of the Samsung xcover series of mobiles for years..xcover3,4 and now 5.
Granted i'm a few models behind the latest but funds are the only reason in that regard..
So im now using the xcover5, have 3 extra batteries for it (you can actually easily swap out batteries) and teamed it with the "AlpineQuest pro" nav app..
a lot of useful features with the app plus its able to keep logging position and track if you turn off the mobile screen if you want to save battery although i have found i can go 8hrs continuous use on the xcover5 before i get down to 10% after starting on a full charge..
The xcover5 is IP68 dust/water resistant and receives GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS..
so i think worth having a look at i think as an option for extended walks..
down side of the Xcover series is its not sold in Australia by Samsung so not really supported by them..
dnaylor
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Samsung Xcover5 as a GPS nav device

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 22 Jul, 2024 8:39 pm

Seems interesting, I'll check it out. Battery swap out might be handy. You can obviously re-charge phones from a power bank but getting back to 100% straight away is a benefit.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Return to Techno-Babble