Mt Field May 27-29

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Mt Field May 27-29

Postby pazzar » Sat 29 May, 2010 6:17 pm

Here is a selection of photos I took over the last few days. My trip started at Wombat Moor, then off to Mt Mawson, Lake Belton and Tyenna Peak, before camping the night on the plateau between Tyenna and Florentine Peak. The following day I quickly scrambled up Florentine Peak on my way to K Col, where I dumped my gear for a run up Field West. Walking out over the Rodways on Saturday. As is the norm for me, this was not an uneventful trip. As I returned to my car I quickly discovered that I had a very flat battery, and waited for almost 2 hours until someone with jump leads drove past.

P1010644.JPG

P1010646.JPG

P1010650.JPG

P1010656.JPG

P1010661.JPG
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Field May 27-29

Postby pazzar » Sat 29 May, 2010 6:21 pm

P1010663.JPG

P1010665.JPG

P1010675.JPG

P1010677.JPG

P1010684.JPG
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kramster » Mon 31 May, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks for the great pics Pazzar.
I've had dreams (and a couple of failed attempts) at a circuit like this one - except in reverse.
I'm almost keen to give it another go... :)
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pazzar » Mon 31 May, 2010 12:46 pm

I'd recommend it in reverse, making Tyenna Peak an easy climb and then a quick descent to Lake Belton, It could be done as an overnighter in Summer I think. I could have possibly made it to K Col under the light of the full moon, but it was getting pretty cold by 4:30.
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Jun, 2010 7:35 pm

Have to get around to doing this next time I'm at Field. Never been to Belton . . .

ps: Tyenna/Florentine Saddle struck me as potentially being a good campsite, if a little exposed.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby pazzar » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 1:48 pm

Belton also looks like a great campsite. The saddle is a little exposed, but the closer to Florentine you get, the more sheltered it is
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby abowen » Thu 03 Jun, 2010 2:12 pm

Agree with pazzar. There are a few tarns closer to Florentine Peak and there would be more protection there from westerly winds - it would still be very exposed in cold windy conditons though.
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pazzar » Thu 03 Jun, 2010 4:05 pm

I definitely wouldn't camp there on a windy night - I'd tough it out in the dark to K Col if it was a bit wild
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mjdalessa » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 8:06 pm

Did some searching for a potential trip and found this. I was thinking that a good circuit might be; Lake Dobson, over Mount Mawson, Up to Tyenna Peak, Up Florentine, Then meet track and maybe go to the Rodway range high point. What would progress be like in the section over mawson and up tyenna? I was thinking of doing this in a day in the next week. Is this realistic time wise?
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stepbystep » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi mjdalessa
Check this thread for the daywalk, can be done in either direction. One of the best long daywalks in Tasmania.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3946&p=45000&hilit=belton#p45000
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mjdalessa » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks for that, but I still have a couple of questions. What do you think of going from near the top of the road and straight over Mawson down to Lake Belcher/ Belton? Looks like a shortcut, but hows the terrain? Whats the ascent like to the plateau with tyenna and florentine (need for navigation?, scrubby?)?

Finally, how long can I expect to take and is this suited to winter (like this coming week) whilst there is snow around?
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa

Postby stepbystep » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 11:18 am

mjdalessa wrote:Thanks for that, but I still have a couple of questions. What do you think of going from near the top of the road and straight over Mawson down to Lake Belcher/ Belton? Looks like a shortcut, but hows the terrain? Whats the ascent like to the plateau with tyenna and florentine (need for navigation?, scrubby?)?

Finally, how long can I expect to take and is this suited to winter (like this coming week) whilst there is snow around?

I think you'll find coming off Mawson to Belcher will be both scrubby and cliffy, definitley not quicker or easier. There is a very nice track from South of Mt Mawson(Sth) down to the river and from there up to Tyenna is a mix of easy off track and a faint pad as far as Beltpn. The obvious start/finish point for this circuit is Wombat Moor with a road walk from Lake Dobson to finish off, someone gave me a lift

I wouldn't recommend it for winter snow will slow you down, it took me 9 hrs approx and I am a reasonably fast mover. It is however a fantastic circuit. Navigation is easy for the whole trip, but obviously if the clag comes in everything changes, particularly between Tyenna-Florentine-Rodway.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Gallery